Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

Gloss map for vegitation(leaf) material

Discuss topics unrelated to CRYENGINE.

User avatar tothespace
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Gloss map for vegitation(leaf) material

Postby tothespace » 29.03.2015, 05:56

For non-metal objects, I just use heightmap or AO for gloss map. And then fine-tune it till it looks good. It`s not physically accurate. But the results are passable.

For vegitation materials, this is not the case. It`s extremly difficult to do gloss map, opacity map and normal map without the real scanned reference photos.

Would it be better to just wait for Megascan?
Can anyone elaborate on this ? :)
User avatar CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

Re: Gloss map for vegitation(leaf) material

Postby CollinBishop » 29.03.2015, 14:56

My biggest reasoning on Megascans will be dependent on the price. The UE4 asset upload to the marketplace is either a huge mistake or it is gonna be very pricey to use their textures. Also I would never actively tell anyone to wait on Quixel because they are the slowest company to ever release products.

In regards to using older bitmap images I have had good success in tweaking B2M and also in some cases adding to those effects in Photoshop for my finalized result.
skype - "thecollinbishop" email - free3dee@gmail.com
User avatar loggie24
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby loggie24 » 29.03.2015, 15:01

CollinBishop wrote:My biggest reasoning on Megascans will be dependent on the price. The UE4 asset upload to the marketplace is either a huge mistake or it is gonna be very pricey to use their textures. Also I would never actively tell anyone to wait on Quixel because they are the slowest company to ever release products.

In regards to using older bitmap images I have had good success in tweaking B2M and also in some cases adding to those effects in Photoshop for my finalized result.
Damn right. On to the subject, take a look here and look at these photos. They are from Megascans and should give you a basic understanding on how gloss for vegetation looks.

http://quixel.se/dev/megascans-breakdown

It's the first one

Collin, the textures released on UE4 markeplace were a mistake from what i heard. The price won't be this ridiculous.
User avatar mindflux
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby mindflux » 29.03.2015, 23:03

loggie24 wrote:Collin, the textures released on UE4 markeplace were a mistake from what i heard. The price won't be this ridiculous.

It would seem so, at least they've now removed the pack from the UE4 marketplace.
User avatar tothespace
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby tothespace » 30.03.2015, 05:38

Thank you for the answers.

160 bucks for 9 textures is insane,,
I`m willing to shell out 1.5K,, but not more than that.
Hopefully they`ll come up with more reasonable pricing plans.

2k~4K => indie developers
over 4K~16K => VFX professionals premium service.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community