Zombie MOD???

Discuss topics unrelated to CRYENGINE.

Ninja_Prime
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: Zombie MOD???

Postby Ninja_Prime » 14.08.2012, 07:19

joder wrote:Even with the mod sdk, so using the infected model as zombie

they need to make all new animations, certainly AI behavior, barehand weapons, and i suppose many give up at thoses points

I can understand why MODs are never completed, I have been on a few myself with other games, and you are right, it's creating new units, animation, sound etc etc, the tasks become very daunting, and if you are not been paid for it, and you have very little time, then it can become an up hill struggle. That's why its important to get some kind of backing, financial or from a studio who can help.
Adsolution
Database Support
Database Support

Postby Adsolution » 14.08.2012, 10:09

I may pose an argument that money is hardly a motivator to do good, integrious work, especially when it comes to mods.

Ninja_Prime wrote:That's why its important to get some kind of backing, financial or from a studio who can help.

And where did those studios come from?
General Kaboom
Producer
Producer

Postby General Kaboom » 14.08.2012, 10:16

Hmm...I think with the FreeSDKs example Fists.xml it's very easy to do own bare hand-animations, isn't it?
"The cake is NOT a lie!"

NO support via pm!
You look funny with your head so close by the screen ^^
commando2012
Developer
Developer

Postby commando2012 » 14.08.2012, 10:27

LOL i would not call ARMA II graphics retro.

Sure they are not top of line but the textures they use are pretty high rez and they have recently been adding in some nice features with the beta patches. You also got to remember the size fo the terrain they are using when it was released most PC had a hard time running the game maxed out, even now you need a decent system to be able to do it. Try put that size of terrain into cryengine and see what happens then try adding multiplayer into the mix.. Even if that size of terrain did not totally mess things up in cryengine like it does at the moment im pretty sure your would be scaling back on all the nice graphics settings you use in your small maps LOL

Dont get me wrong the character animations for the NPCs are not the best at all LOL but the game is far far from being retro.

Also ARMA III is looknig really nice, plus DayZ is gonig to be a proper game now and probally use the ARMA III engine :) http://dayzgame.com/
Some 3D Models I have done.
http://dragon3d.webs.com
Ninja_Prime
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Ninja_Prime » 14.08.2012, 10:39

RayFan9876 wrote:I may pose an argument that money is hardly a motivator to do good, integrious work, especially when it comes to mods.

Ninja_Prime wrote:That's why its important to get some kind of backing, financial or from a studio who can help.

And where did those studios come from?

yes you are correct, money is not that important a motivation for some, but it helps. To be perfectly blunt, what is the game industries main motivation these days?...MONEY they tend to jump on band wagons that will make money for them. For a modder, yes I agree that they will have different motivations driving them, its hard work, lots of sleepless nights, testing etc. and all for what?
so that they can get their mod up and running and played by the community they created it for? yes there is that, but mostly to be recognised by their peers about what they have accomplished and how they have achieved it, and sometimes there can be financial benefits or even a job at the end of it.
I would like to know how many modders here have wanted to end up working for a gaming publisher/studio?
Ninja_Prime
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Ninja_Prime » 14.08.2012, 10:50

commando2012 wrote:LOL i would not call ARMA II graphics retro.

Sure they are not top of line but the textures they use are pretty high rez and they have recently been adding in some nice features with the beta patches. You also got to remember the size fo the terrain they are using when it was released most PC had a hard time running the game maxed out, even now you need a decent system to be able to do it. Try put that size of terrain into cryengine and see what happens then try adding multiplayer into the mix.. Even if that size of terrain did not totally mess things up in cryengine like it does at the moment im pretty sure your would be scaling back on all the nice graphics settings you use in your small maps LOL

Dont get me wrong the character animations for the NPCs are not the best at all LOL but the game is far far from being retro.

Also ARMA III is looknig really nice, plus DayZ is gonig to be a proper game now and probally use the ARMA III engine :) http://dayzgame.com/

No offence intended about ARMA or OFP, I was just stating that IMHO the graphics could have been improved, the problem is that once your used to playing games like COD, BF3 and Crysis you would expect something better. Yes the recent patches have helped and ARMA 2 was a vast improvement on ARMA. I think I read somewhere that most people don't set their PC's correctly to get the best from ARMA.
ARMA 3 is looking great, I have checked all the youtube vids and I am very impressed with the results so far, and as far as I know they are still tweaking it. DayZ using the new ARMA 3 engine will look great.
I have played ARMA games when it was OF, so the improvements in graphics has been very good.
I have created a lot of SP missions for ARMA, I haven't uploaded any as I am a bit lazy and can't be bothered to do any of the briefings LOL. Plus that fact that you need to have the same MODs as the person uploading the missions to be able to play them, with all the mods in ARMA it can get very confusing sometimes LOL.
commando2012
Developer
Developer

Postby commando2012 » 14.08.2012, 11:00

Yeah it can take a lot of tweaking to get it looking the best, one of the main things people dont do is match the interface size to the screen resolution.. for some reason if its the wrong size you get a massive performance hit..

Anyway yeah cant wait for ARMA III :)
Some 3D Models I have done.
http://dragon3d.webs.com
General Kaboom
Producer
Producer

Postby General Kaboom » 14.08.2012, 11:05

Pleas guys...stick to the topic :rolleyes:
"The cake is NOT a lie!"

NO support via pm!
Ninja_Prime
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Ninja_Prime » 14.08.2012, 11:07

Sorry my bad....
If any one wants to comment on a zombie MOD or ideas for one, may be we could start it here :)
With regards CQB with zombies that would be good, but the engine would need to be able to cope with using animation for when the player picks up an object to smack the zombie with...and how gruesome can you make it? I saw a vid on youtube for that new Wii zombie game, now that was pretty bloody, I think it got an 18 rating.
General Kaboom
Producer
Producer

Postby General Kaboom » 14.08.2012, 11:15

Fine...I was thinking about starting one about one year ago...finally everything that came out was an animated .gif-picture with a "coming soon"-promise........FAIL :whistle:

Edit: Maybe if we could get some experienced modders together...but alot of the good men are working on their own projects and IDK if there are still that much people who want a zombie mod
"The cake is NOT a lie!"

NO support via pm!
Ninja_Prime
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Ninja_Prime » 14.08.2012, 11:20

Personally if someone could get a zombie mod with the proper animation etc, I am more than happy to play around with it and get a few SP maps together, but I am not that confident with the new sandbox. I will check the other forums on this site that use the older sandbox and check the zombie mods there.
General Kaboom
Producer
Producer

Postby General Kaboom » 14.08.2012, 11:24

Hmm...maybe I can do a working zombie-animation pack (maybe...I've never done complete body animations and I'm also pretty new to weapons what I'm currently working on) after that, someone might create a (or some) character for it.
"The cake is NOT a lie!"

NO support via pm!
Ninja_Prime
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Ninja_Prime » 14.08.2012, 11:31

That would be great, just to be able to get working zombies into the editor would be something, I can then start designing a level around it. I would love to create a Co-op level too is if that was possible.
General Kaboom
Producer
Producer

Postby General Kaboom » 14.08.2012, 11:56

Dunno...I've never had to do with Co-op, but there are others who might be able to help you.
So I'il try to do a attack animation at first (cause due to the fists.xml I've a very good help).
I thought about making a list of animations that a zombie might need:

First person:
Attack arms
Idle arms
Camera shacke (FG?)

Third person:
Attack arms
Idle arms
Walk body
Run body
Idle body
Facial scream animation (Facial editor?)

Additional:
Bite (Zombie)
Bitten (Hunter)
Infected die & resurrect (Bitten hunter)
Passive animations (Like the infected Humans in Crysis 2)

Did I forget something or any ideas for additional animations?
"The cake is NOT a lie!"

NO support via pm!
the_grim
Superstar Dolphin
Superstar Dolphin

Postby the_grim » 14.08.2012, 12:28

General Kaboom wrote:Did I forget something or any ideas for additional animations?

Some AI for the zombies would be nice... :P I started working on a simple test AI, went for zombie for the sake of them being dumb so no need for advanced group tactics and taking cover intelligently etc. Even that proved to be a challenge, I never really got very far with the AI. It's a must for any zombie mod though, so my thread might come in handy: viewtopic.php?f=314&t=84957

Zombie AI should really be the first thing you get your hands on when starting a zombie mod/game. It's absolutely needed for satisfactory gameplay, you can always add in more weapons and advanced features once you've got a core zombie gameplay that's actually fun and challenging. Even attack animations and such are really low-priority. :)

There's a bunch of zombie games in development, many of them open-world MMO. Maybe it's the success of DayZ, or just sheer coincidence but seems that just now zombie games are going viral like an infection... ;)

http://dayzmod.com/ (going to be a stand-alone title)
http://thewarz.com/
http://undeadlabs.com/class3/

Additionally, The Last of Us is apparently a kind of a survival horror game against zombie-like (fungus-infected) enemies. Not open world though. There's a Wii U reboot of a game called "Zombi" in the works as well: http://zombiu.ubi.com/zombi/en-us/home/index.aspx/

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community