Okay, I'm sorry I've taken a little time to check out the facts, and it appears that:
- The map was indeed built using my map as a template.
- The ocean shader uses my settings, and even points toward my material file.
- The map also uses my custom animals.xml file.
- The Time Of Day settings also comes from my map (save some tweaks in HDR).
- My cloud material also found its way into the level folder (although I don't think it's being used).
- My vegetation levels are used.
- My texture layers are also used.
- The terrain itself and the level design are new and do not come from my map.
I think that we shouldn't be too hard on PeX Machin3. It IS a "different" map after all.
After checking the forum thread he gave out in his post (and as Pamqnx suggested), I understand now that this map indeed stemmed from a "the guy's not that good/anyone can do that" reaction to my map. Which I understand. If I didn't work in the CG movie business I would have maybe reacted the same way.
Ultimately, PeX's motivations behind such a move may be questionable but I believe the only thing he can be blamed for is not having acknowledged my work as a stepping stone for his map. Not a big deal really, just a small fault of "etiquette".
Thank you to Wiebelwie for his vigilance in the matter.
In closing, I have reasons to believe that PeX is aware that he might have misjudged the difficulty of creating a map such as my little island. And I want to encourage him to keep on working on his own map, as I think it shows real promise!
And just to clarify things, I have no objection to people modifying my map in any way, as long as they have the courtesy of giving out proper credit where it is due.
Exactly my point, keep on it PeX Machin3, as Seith said. Just remember to put him in the credits for the source material... Also, it's always good to check maps to see how things are done, the cool thing is that you're able to learn from them. Apart from this small issue, keep up the good work, 'cause the shots do look awesome!