Okay, I'm sorry I've taken a little time to check out the facts, and it appears that:
- The map was indeed built using my map as a template.
- The ocean shader uses my settings, and even points toward my material file.
- The map also uses my custom animals.xml file.
- The Time Of Day settings also comes from my map (save some tweaks in HDR).
- My cloud material also found its way into the level folder (although I don't think it's being used).
- My vegetation levels are used.
- My texture layers are also used.
- The terrain itself and the level design are new and do not come from my map.
I think that we shouldn't be too hard on PeX Machin3. It IS a "different" map after all.
After checking the forum thread he gave out in his post (and as Pamqnx suggested), I understand now that this map indeed stemmed from a "the guy's not that good/anyone can do that" reaction to my map. Which I understand. If I didn't work in the CG movie business I would have maybe reacted the same way.
Ultimately, PeX's motivations behind such a move may be questionable but I believe the only thing he can be blamed for is not having acknowledged my work as a stepping stone for his map. Not a big deal really, just a small fault of "etiquette".
Thank you to Wiebelwie for his vigilance in the matter.
In closing, I have reasons to believe that PeX is aware that he might have misjudged the difficulty of creating a map such as my little island. And I want to encourage him to keep on working on his own map, as I think it shows real promise!
And just to clarify things, I have no objection to people modifying my map in any way, as long as they have the courtesy of giving out proper credit where it is due.