Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

USGS DEM to World Machine to CRYENGINE

Help others by sharing your tutorials here.

User avatar CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

USGS DEM to World Machine to CRYENGINE

Postby CollinBishop » 09.12.2014, 19:21

I have been meaning to make this tutorial for quite some time. It runs about 24 mins and goes over the entire process to gather DEM (elevation) data from the USGS and then using World Machine to texture and erode the mountains. Lastly importing to an empty CRYENGINE level to apply the heightmap and then overlaying the new bitmap texture on the terrain surface. It is similar to Wenda's old tutorial but no sculpting by hand and is about 10% the length.

skype - "thecollinbishop" email - free3dee@gmail.com
User avatar Zezeri
Database Support
Database Support

Re: USGS DEM to World Machine to CRYENGINE

Postby Zezeri » 09.12.2014, 22:14

Nice one, thanks for another tut :)
Lighting/Level Artist

working at metricminds

Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/Zezeri

Crysis 2: The Journey
User avatar hhildebr
Developer
Developer

Postby hhildebr » 09.12.2014, 23:39

[url][/url]Great tutorial, thanks Collin! It really is amazing what kind of quality data is publicly available these days. For people interested in accurate representations of real-world data in the game, two small additions:

1) Exporting the data in the UTM projection is an interesting alternative. On one hand, there is no distortion error due to spherical coordinates used as Cartesian ones (though that is usually negligible for terrains that fit inside the CRYENGINE). More importantly, the coordinates (as given by the east/west/north/south bounds) are meters, so you can easily relate those to the terrain scale in the engine.

2) http://www.gdal.org/ has a set of great command line utilities that let you cut, reformat etc. your data as needed, so can e.g. cut a power-of-two set out of your data without distortion. They let you also deal with "no data" pixels - often, pixels with no data are represented as -32768 which skews the 0-1 scale when displaying the data as an image.
User avatar DGrimProductions
Producer
Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 10.12.2014, 01:36

Thats the best way ive seen so far. Yet a Coastal overlay is as simple as it gets. It was for the purpose of keeping the tutorial short?
I am an uncle :) going to be a dad soon :D

Designer tool Challenge!

Submit today!!
More info in the Designer Tool art thread in the Showcase/Assets section!
User avatar CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

Postby CollinBishop » 10.12.2014, 04:59

DGrimProductions wrote:Thats the best way ive seen so far. Yet a Coastal overlay is as simple as it gets. It was for the purpose of keeping the tutorial short?

Yes it was solely to show the whole workflow in a compact setting. I try and keep things shorter. People don't tend to like hour long vids in general. The retention rate is much lower. If I could have made it 10 mins I would have.
skype - "thecollinbishop" email - free3dee@gmail.com

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community