Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

.chr animations (solved)

Topics about 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, and various other software packages.

Scalawag
Just getting started
Just getting started

.chr animations (solved)

Postby Scalawag » 15.05.2012, 08:20

Hello everyone!
First of all, sorry for my english)))
I know that there was many topics about that, but I didn't find the solution. I'm trying to create my own characters with simple looped animation. Just people sitting around the scene and looking around or talking each other. I need it for simple flythrough animation.
I've tryed to export animations from 3ds max 2012, just like it was said in few tutors, but there is NO ANIMATIONS in sandbox when i load my model in character editor.
Here is my actions:
- Saved .max in "game\objects\characters\human\child"
- Edited .cba file. It looks like this:

Code: Select all
<Definitions>

<AnimationDefinition>
      <Model File="/../Objects/Characters/human/child/child02_f_highpoly.chr"/>
      <Animation Path="human/child"/>
      <Database Path="human/child/child.dba"/>
      <COMPRESSION value="2"/>
    </AnimationDefinition>

</Definitions>

- Exported model as .chr to "game\objects\characters\human\child"
- Exported biped as .caf animation to "Game\Animations\human\child\cheers.caf"
- Created .cal file in the same directory as .chr and with the same name, in except of file extension. It looked like:

#Filepath = Animations\human\child

Cheers = cheers.caf

- Created .cmd file in "game\animations"

cd C:\cry
bin32\rc\rc.exe game\animations.cba /dest="game\animations" /p="PC" /wait
cmd

- Run the .cmd file. It has created .dba file in "game\animations\human\child" folder and Animations.img and DirectionalBlends.img files in "game\animations" folder

Then I started Sandbox, characters editor, opened my model. .chr file is opened in "setup pose" and there was no animations

What is wrong? I've tried to repeat all these actions in previous version of Sandbox (now I have 3.4.0) with the same result.

Thanks in advance for the answer. I think it will be usefull for all noobs :)
Last edited by Scalawag on 15.05.2012, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Scalawag
Just getting started
Just getting started

Re: .chr animations (problem)

Postby Scalawag » 15.05.2012, 09:45

Well, what can I say?..
Yes I know what You thinking about me)) But I'm really noob, and things that is looking simple for some of You is difficult to understand for novice.
After many hours I spent in attempts to solve this problem i spotted THIS:

In CryENGINE 3.3 the .cal file, .ik file and .setup file have all been merged into a single more manageable file.

But i've never heard about inability to use .cal files in 3.4.0!
Now I just replace old .cal file with .chrparams file and everything is working!)))
Hope it will be usefull for someone

p.s. content of my .chrparams file:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<Params>
   <AnimationList>
      <Animation name="#Filepath" path="animations\human\child"/>
      <Comment value="-------EVENT DATABASE-------"/>
      <Animation name="$TracksDatabase" path="animations\human\child\child.dba"/>
      <Comment value="-- LOOP"/>
      <Animation name="*" path="*.caf"/>

</AnimationList>
</Params>

p.p.s. this is very basically, but i've just tried to run some animation on my .chr file.
luke78
Developer
Developer

Re: .chr animations (solved)

Postby luke78 » 21.05.2012, 04:49

No worry mate. Nobody answer questions here. I have the same problem. They will rather talk about new Crysis 3, Call of Duty or that EA is bad company. I also have to answer my questions by myself. After a year I am start asking myself a question. What the hell I am still doing here? No info, no documentation, no tutorials and no respond. Very professional.

But they did very cool engine. Shame that they don't want to share information how to use it. I've seen official developers version. They have maps with examples. And what we have? Lantern.
Scalawag
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Scalawag » 21.05.2012, 09:33

Yes, one of the main problems is the absence of normal CryEngine documentation and the almost complete absence of normal tutorials. Before that I worked with another engine, and for this reason alone I could advance in the study of this engine for a little. I am sincerely sorry for those for whom the CryEngine 3 - the first experience.
wootwoots
Producer
Producer

Postby wootwoots » 21.05.2012, 12:50

luke78 wrote:No worry mate. Nobody answer questions here. I have the same problem. They will rather talk about new Crysis 3, Call of Duty or that EA is bad company. I also have to answer my questions by myself. After a year I am start asking myself a question. What the hell I am still doing here? No info, no documentation, no tutorials and no respond. Very professional.

But they did very cool engine. Shame that they don't want to share information how to use it. I've seen official developers version. They have maps with examples. And what we have? Lantern.

I cant agree more with you. For somes "advanced" question ( depending of the subject ) its nearly impossible to get any help / answer.
Even if the DOC is better than the SB2 one, its still so lack of real exemple, tutorial.. etc.
You spend hours and hours doing to basic test to try to figure out how to make work something, thats pretty painfull sometime.

( sorry if i dont speak about the subject )

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community