Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

POM not working?

Topics about 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, and various other software packages.


 

HWJohn
Just getting started
Just getting started
 
Posts: 77
Member since: 10.10.2011, 23:29
Likes: 0

POM not working?

Postby HWJohn » 09.07.2012, 01:44

I don't think Parallax Occlusion mapping is working for me, as I did the tutorial on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5Avnf_JuU, but it doesn't have the depth that has.


POM.jpg
User avatar
RohinParmar95
Just getting started
Just getting started
 
Posts: 76
Member since: 19.04.2012, 21:26
Likes: 0

Re: POM not working?

Postby RohinParmar95 » 09.07.2012, 03:37

Show us some more details?


Did you apply the displacement Map in the alpha Channel? That was the mistake I made when I tried POM.
HWJohn
Just getting started
Just getting started
 
Posts: 77
Member since: 10.10.2011, 23:29
Likes: 0

Re: POM not working?

Postby HWJohn » 09.07.2012, 04:06

RohinParmar95 wrote:Show us some more details?


Did you apply the displacement Map in the alpha Channel? That was the mistake I made when I tried POM.




yes
User avatar
RohinParmar95
Just getting started
Just getting started
 
Posts: 76
Member since: 19.04.2012, 21:26
Likes: 0

Re: POM not working?

Postby RohinParmar95 » 09.07.2012, 04:47

HWJohn wrote:
RohinParmar95 wrote:Show us some more details?


Did you apply the displacement Map in the alpha Channel? That was the mistake I made when I tried POM.




yes



Try adding a brightness/contrast modifier to it in photoShop (prior to alpha channeling it) and turn the contrast all the way up.
HWJohn
Just getting started
Just getting started
 
Posts: 77
Member since: 10.10.2011, 23:29
Likes: 0

Re: POM not working?

Postby HWJohn » 09.07.2012, 05:20

RohinParmar95 wrote:
HWJohn wrote:
RohinParmar95 wrote:Show us some more details?


Did you apply the displacement Map in the alpha Channel? That was the mistake I made when I tried POM.




yes



Try adding a brightness/contrast modifier to it in photoShop (prior to alpha channeling it) and turn the contrast all the way up.


That did it, thank you!

Also if you could me with this : viewtopic.php?f=326&t=94315

I think it's a technical problem but there could be something I'm missing
User avatar
Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters
 
Posts: 12080
Member since: 04.12.2007, 03:23
Location: Hamar, Norway
Likes: 751

Re: POM not working?

Postby Lavizh » 09.07.2012, 12:57

Save Displacement Maps as XX_displ.tif using DisplacementMap in CryTiff. The engine will auto use them as Displacement Maps for POM / Tessellation.

It was changed to this to save on performance rather than using the alpha channel. Now the engine will just use the _displ.tif file if it exists, so we're down to 3 channels (RGB) instead of 4 (+alpha)

Putting the heightmap in the alpha channel isn't the way to do it now. It's performance costly (ish).

Displacements Maps should be labeled XX_displ.tif
Normal Maps should be labeled XX_ddn.tif
Specular Maps should be labeled XX_spec.tif

and so on ...
 
 
Image


 
Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community