Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

Animation problem/ root bone move along with body?

Topics about 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, and various other software packages.

lier198631
Just getting started
Just getting started

Animation problem/ root bone move along with body?

Postby lier198631 » 13.11.2014, 06:53

Hello, I met a problem when exporting character animation from maya to Cryengine 3.5.8. Every time I play my caf file in cryengine, the character will start from the old position. But for the animation file with the sdk_player in the SDK , there is no such problems. After I check their skeletons, I found the difference is that their root bone(bip01) move along with the whole body, but in Maya it has to be fixed so as to create the animation manually. Does any one know how can I
make the root bone move along with the body in Maya or any other methods to create the caf file the same as the animation file in the SDK?
CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

Re: Animation problem/ root bone move along with body?

Postby CollinBishop » 13.11.2014, 18:37

lier198631 wrote:Hello, I met a problem when exporting character animation from maya to Cryengine 3.5.8. Every time I play my caf file in cryengine, the character will start from the old position. But for the animation file with the sdk_player in the SDK , there is no such problems. After I check their skeletons, I found the difference is that their root bone(bip01) move along with the whole body, but in Maya it has to be fixed so as to create the animation manually. Does any one know how can I
make the root bone move along with the body in Maya or any other methods to create the caf file the same as the animation file in the SDK?

In order to get the root bone to move along with the body you need to constrain the root bone to the pelvis of your character and nullify the upwards facing axis depending on your Cartesian settings of Y/Z up. Now this won't work in constraining the child of the root. To bypass the pelvis and constrain the root you must nest a locator under the pelvis and then constrain to that.
skype - "thecollinbishop" email - free3dee@gmail.com
lier198631
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby lier198631 » 14.11.2014, 09:30

CollinBishop wrote: In order to get the root bone to move along with the body you need to constrain the root bone to the pelvis of your character and nullify the upwards facing axis depending on your Cartesian settings of Y/Z up. Now this won't work in constraining the child of the root. To bypass the pelvis and constrain the root you must nest a locator under the pelvis and then constrain to that.

Thank you very much for your reply. Since I am not very familiar with Maya, Could you tell me the detailed steps of "nest a locator under the pelvis"? Which command should I use to achieve this?
Thanks again for your kindly help.
CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

Postby CollinBishop » 14.11.2014, 16:03

Create a locator from the top menu. MMB drag the locator underneath the pelvis in the hierarchy. Parent constrain the root bone to the locator from the animation section.
lier198631
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby lier198631 » 17.11.2014, 03:44

CollinBishop wrote:Create a locator from the top menu. MMB drag the locator underneath the pelvis in the hierarchy. Parent constrain the root bone to the locator from the animation section.

Thank you for your reply. I did as you said, but there are still problems, the root bone did not move along with the locator as I expected. In my view, you create the locator as the child node of the pelvis, and then it is used to control the root bone which is the parent node of the pelvis. That means the child controls its parent in the hierarchy, which cause conflict. So is there any other things I need to do something like write mel script, or did I misunderstand your methods? thanks again.
CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

Postby CollinBishop » 17.11.2014, 03:49

lier198631 wrote:
CollinBishop wrote:Create a locator from the top menu. MMB drag the locator underneath the pelvis in the hierarchy. Parent constrain the root bone to the locator from the animation section.

Thank you for your reply. I did as you said, but there are still problems, the root bone did not move along with the locator as I expected. In my view, you create the locator as the child node of the pelvis, and then it is used to control the root bone which is the parent node of the pelvis. That means the child controls its parent in the hierarchy, which cause conflict. So is there any other things I need to do something like write mel script, or did I misunderstand your methods? thanks again.

You should be baking the animation anyways. Do this afterwards and therefore the movement is coherent. The root bone then will not displace and track if constrained properly. Many would complain of this as a cycle error but baked animation really doesn't matter. You are setting key frames and they are just vectors. Doesn't matter how done as long as correct.
lier198631
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby lier198631 » 19.11.2014, 17:11

CollinBishop wrote:You should be baking the animation anyways. Do this afterwards and therefore the movement is coherent. The root bone then will not displace and track if constrained properly. Many would complain of this as a cycle error but baked animation really doesn't matter. You are setting key frames and they are just vectors. Doesn't matter how done as long as correct.

Thank you very much for your help. I finally get things done following your advice, happy for that.
And I'd like to ask some further questions. I aim to replace the default local player with my character. And now I have get ready for my chr file and caf file. I follow the tutorial you post on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-aLmF_Dt8) exactly, but problems arise. When I move the custom player using keyboard, it did not using movement motion animation file. No matter it is moving or staying still, it only play the motion idle animation. Can you help me to figure out how to make the custom player transit from motion idle animation to motion movement animation when the player change its movement state? thanks again.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community