Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

AudioAreaAmbience Properties

Topics about 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, and various other software packages.

User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

AudioAreaAmbience Properties

Postby paul_dolan » 05.12.2014, 13:50

I've read through the documentation on these pages:
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... +in+Levels
http://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpag ... d=17826178
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... +Flownodes
and am still confused about how to add an existing ambient sound that starts playing on level start.

Do I need to install wwise in order to do this?
Or is there a specific trigger for initiating ambient sound on level start?
What settings do I enter in the audioAreaAmbience Properties box in order to get, for example, "hilltop_ambience" to play on level start?

Thanks
User avatar Cry-Thomas
CRYENGINE Developer
CRYENGINE Developer

Re: AudioAreaAmbience Properties

Postby Cry-Thomas » 05.12.2014, 16:33

There are several things to understand.
Firstly, CE Audio System works with a data scoping concept to allow for memory friendly development.
Meaning development teams have the ability to only load audio data that is needed for the current game state.
For example, if your level does not contain vehicles then there is no need to make vehicle specific audio data available meaning loading it into memory hence unnecessarily wasting it.

In the case of the "Play_ambience_forest_hilltop" ambience this is exactly the case.
That ambience is scoped to the Forest level only as you can see in the screenshot below. I assume you are trying to play it in an other level than the Forest level for which it has not been enabled. In fact it should not even be selectable in the ATL-Trigger selection popup dialog.

temp289.png

There are several ways of enabling that event for your level though. Here is just one.
Create a new ATL-Trigger, scope it to your level (I used a level named "audio_test") and connect the corresponding Wwise event to it. See below screenshot for an example.

temp290.png

Secondly, the event's audio data has been compiled into 2 soundbanks "l_forest_a.bnk" and "l_forest_d.bnk". That can be also discovered when looking at the SDK Wwise Project DLC. Those banks need to be preloaded by either your game (globally) or your level (level specific) depending of course on where the game needs that data. See below screenshot for how that is done.

temp292.png

Thirdly, that event is setup to attenuate via a RTPC named "area_fade_distance". You can have a look at the SDK Wwise Project DLC to see how it is set up. Basically it is a parameter between 0 and 1 where 0 means no volume and 1 full volume. So where ever you use that event you need to make sure to drive that RTPC accordingly. Fortunately the AAA (AudioAreaAmbience) takes care of that for you if you assigned the RTPC to it as shown in below screenshot.

temp291.png

Let me know if things are still unclear.
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 05.12.2014, 16:47

Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated. In my Audio Controls Browser, none of the wwise controls show up. That leads me back to one of my first questions - do I need to install wwise and register an account with them/set up/link that project with my game file?

thanks
User avatar Cry-Thomas
CRYENGINE Developer
CRYENGINE Developer

Postby Cry-Thomas » 05.12.2014, 16:50

You can either install the SDK Wwise Project DLC to make the Wwise data show up in the ACB or you move the Forest level specific controls away from the Forest level into the Gloabl scope. That's up to you really but in case you move forward with your project and are serious about its audio it might be a good idea to get that project ready.
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 05.12.2014, 17:24

Got it working. Thanks again.
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 10.12.2014, 14:06

Facepalm. This worked in 3.6.10. Updated to 3.6.12 to fix bending issue with vegetation. Sound no longer works using your instructions above.
User avatar Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 10.12.2014, 14:18

Rebuild the sound banks using the appropriate Wwise version.

Image  Image
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 10.12.2014, 14:49

I'm not an audio engineer by any means. How do I rebuild the sound banks in wwise?
User avatar Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 10.12.2014, 15:01

Image  Image
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 10.12.2014, 17:09

I actually had the soundbank folder in the wrong place. In it's correct place, sound now works in my level. However, on exporting to the launcher, the game starts but crashes quickly.

Switching focus from the launcher window also triggers a crash.
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 11.12.2014, 10:53

For anyone else having this problem I fixed the issue by deleting most of the cryengine soundbank contents in wwise until I was under the 200 item threshold for the free license. I could then generate the soundbanks by navigating to the soundbank tab, right clicking on the main soundbank and choosing to regenerate soundbanks for chosen platform (windows). Game now working in the launcher........ for now.
User avatar Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 11.12.2014, 11:26

It's not easy working with Wwise, im not personally a big fan of the new system. But at the moment it's all we got until someone implements an easier solution. Better make the best of it for now.

SDL Mixer is coming soon for those with simpler audio needs though, looking forward to it.

Image  Image
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 13.12.2014, 13:50

I can see how it would support teams with dedicated sound designers but for solo operations it's pretty onerous. The workflow isn't to hard once you've done it a few times but the constant cross referencing of documentation for installation/usage is really time consuming. Thanks for the help.
User avatar wurstburst
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby wurstburst » 14.12.2014, 16:10

about 5 months ago I posted a short tutorial video in which I imported sounds into a CE level in less than 6 minutes ... that included creation of a brand new Wwise project and back then I even needed to manually edit some xml file to make it all work ... afaics that's been optimized now and even that step isn't necessary anymore so I bet I could do it in less than 5 minutes now ... to me personally that process isn't really "onerous" but rather makes sense the way that system works ... I do agree with you that the workflow isn't too hard but cannot agree on the "constant cross referencing of documentation" ... tbh I don't even know what exactly you mean by that ... anyway I'm looking forward to that SDL implementation to see how that generally works ...
User avatar paul_dolan
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby paul_dolan » 17.12.2014, 00:09

What I mean is: vital snippets of information and guidance are spread across doc pages, message board posts, wwise videos, user videos like your own (which as you say yourself, is out of date and includes an unnecessary step). One page with a 'From the start' explanation would have been useful. I find the most valuable CryEngine information via digging through message board posts which is more time consuming than heading to the official CE documentation.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community