Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

CryEngine 3 needs a work offline mode

If you have problems with the Sandbox editor or other provided tools, let us know here.

aeternus
Just getting started
Just getting started

CryEngine 3 needs a work offline mode

Postby aeternus » 17.08.2011, 19:48

A suggestion - please add a "work offline" option for those of us who may not have an internet connection every time we would like to work on our laptops on the road, at work, or anywhere else we may not have the ability to easily connect to a network. I can't be the only one who's thinking this..?
Talvipakkanen
Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Re: CryEngine 3 needs a work offline mode

Postby Talvipakkanen » 17.08.2011, 19:57

It would make sense :rolleyes:

Many people travelling with their laptops would certainly appreciate a possibility to work offline.
Zip-line release 2012-04-24 (for CE2 & CE3) · C1 mod project: A mod called Entry
Assets · Blender: Destroyable object tutorial for CryBlend

- currently lost in New Eden -
traversa
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby traversa » 18.08.2011, 04:48

This is a show stopper for me as well. Hopefully there is a workaround????
Fortran
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby Fortran » 18.08.2011, 04:55

Currently there is no way around this, however I agree, it is quite essential to be able to utilize the SDK without an internet connection. However the CE3 evaluation license and the CE3 student license both also require a permenant internet connection, so I am unsure how Crytek will respond to this.
Goldsteal
Developer
Developer

Postby Goldsteal » 18.08.2011, 04:56

"Many people travelling with their laptops would certainly appreciate a possibility to work offline. :rolleyes: "

Sounds a bit ironic using this smile. So you think no laptop is actually capable of running Sandbox3(TM) or is it just that I missunderstood?

@Topic:
I would highly appreciate the ability of an offline mode. If the login is just for protection -why can't the users decide? You should be able to work on encrypted .cry files with your account logged in and if you don't need such an encryption you should be allowed to leave it. That way you could use the files offline. Simple as that. If other features are implemented which require an account -for example some SVN thing for .cry files or something like that it should end up in everybdy logging in who can.

Goldsteal - is logged in into Sanbox3 ;) What choice do I have?

Btw.: @Fortran: I just read the TFB thread today - congratulations to your new job! Jugding from your work for both CryRecon and TFB you really deserve it dude!
Zeph
Producer
Producer

Postby Zeph » 18.08.2011, 05:16

Knowing why you must be connected to the internet to work in the SDK, I believe it would be a bad idea to flat out allow an offline mode. If there absolutely must be an offline mode, it should only work with unprotected files.
punisher454
Developer
Developer

Postby punisher454 » 18.08.2011, 06:07

Just downloaded it this afternoon and must say that I am very happy to have been proven wrong about my suspicion that the release was going to be late, +1 for Crytek.

I am leaving town for the next few days and will be away from my internet connection and would also love to be able to play around with this, but will have to wait because of the lack of an off-line mode. -1 Crytek.

Otherwise I am pleased with this release. Obviously it needs some updating in several areas but some of the missing things from the Crysis2 SDK are here. I'm currently pleased with Crytek's product and will now stop my exploration of UDK and re-focus my attention back to Cryengine.
disposablejunky
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby disposablejunky » 18.08.2011, 09:16

No offline mode?
No thank you!
ticad123
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby ticad123 » 18.08.2011, 11:35

that will cost me $150 a month to stay online,

also will rule out 95% of the population in africa, sure they got computers but internet access is expensive
the_grim
Superstar Dolphin
Superstar Dolphin

Postby the_grim » 18.08.2011, 11:41

ticad123 wrote:that will cost me $150 a month to stay online,

also will rule out 95% of the population in africa, sure they got computers but internet access is expensive

Yeah, because currently Crydev is flooded by a stream of African users. :rolleyes:
Racemate
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Racemate » 18.08.2011, 14:01

aeternus wrote:A suggestion - please add a "work offline" option for those of us who may not have an internet connection every time we would like to work on our laptops on the road, at work, or anywhere else we may not have the ability to easily connect to a network. I can't be the only one who's thinking this..?

+1
xureus
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby xureus » 18.08.2011, 14:57

an offline mode would be good. But I think you don't have to be online the whole time you use the editor. Just for login purposes.
Blue
Developer
Developer

Postby Blue » 18.08.2011, 16:12

xureus wrote:an offline mode would be good. But I think you don't have to be online the whole time you use the editor. Just for login purposes.

And whats with the programmers who need to restart the editor quite often to check if changes are working? Best way would be to check whats going over the port and build a lokal illusion server who pretends to be the crydev server.... tough crytek would kill us if we would release such a prog. :whistle:

Dosnt even understand why they make such thing - the sdk is the same as the ce2 mod sdk, so there is no need for this crap.
DW_
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby DW_ » 18.08.2011, 16:17

It also adds up for people like me who live on anemic bandwidth caps (damn Bell and their penchant for ripping customers off!). Why is having to log in even necessary? The most I can see it being used for is automatic engine updates, and even then, that can be done over an anonymous TCP connection.
Cry-JR wrote:Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

thegeek wrote:Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u
XeroX
Developer
Developer

Postby XeroX » 18.08.2011, 16:21

In my game design university course technical failure does not count for extending deadlines. So if the accomodation connection fails for a few days before the deadline I would be pretty much f*cked with the current SDK which needs a connection to work with it. So I sure hope they will release an offline version because the current version is a HUGE risk to work with.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community