Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

SSAO vs. SSDO

Just getting started? Looking for some information on CE and/or CE projects? Ask here!

Revel
Just getting started
Just getting started

SSAO vs. SSDO

Postby Revel » 23.09.2012, 07:19

Hey guys, I'm curious about how SSAO and SSDO works, there's quite a lot of information here viewtopic.php?f=355&t=69239 (is really a lot btw, 'cus I haven't really read the whole thread :meow: ) and seems like SSDO is gonna be the replacement of the SSAO? since it's taken care of the shading and edges more nicer (SSAO got a bit of artifact on d edge where it makes the background slightly brighten then the foreground object).

So I've set my scene as r_SSAO=0 and r_SSDO=2, overall result quite nice, but my concrete wall seems like become more glossy for some reason ?(

Here is the screen;
first - r_SSAO=0 r_SSDO=2
second - r_SSAO=3 r_SSDO=0 (default setting)

But at the same time it does makes it looks better when got a few object overlap each other. Since CE3 didn't support any baked AO map, the SSAO by itself makes the object looks floating in front of the wall, like the air-cond unit on the following example.

Again here is the screen;
second - r_SSAO=3 r_SSDO=0 (default setting)

On the official documentation I can't fine any SSDO information, so I have no idea what is 0, 1, 2, 3, etc for SSDO value. Does anyone know what is going on here?

*right-click > view image open in new tab for better comparison between the images.
Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Re: SSAO vs. SSDO

Postby Lavizh » 23.09.2012, 08:12

Go to the filter search in the console and hover over each cvar to get a description.

Revel
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Revel » 23.09.2012, 09:12

Wait a minute, I never know we can do such thing! yeah thanks Lavizh :D
About my other question, I wish to hear any opinion about the concrete wall looks glossy when using the SSDO, is it a normal behavior or how?

*I'm guessing its because of the directional occlusion, when it's facing certain amount of angle from d player view it received a certain amount of darkening effects, but I might be wrong on that.
Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 23.09.2012, 09:14

There is a slight shine/gloss effect in the texture. Tried adjusting SSAO/SSDO settings?

Revel
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Revel » 23.09.2012, 11:06

Yeah that's what I'm referring to as my concrete wall looks a bit glossy when using SSDO on the scene, but I didn't notice that effects on the wooden panel/ planks or on the air-cond units. I can't figure it out what causing it. I believe it's not on the texture issue since it only appear as 'glossy' when I'm activating SSDO and didn't appear on the SSAO.

Like what Lavizh suggested, I play around with SSAO/ SSDO setting and found out that SSDO is really messing around with my texture ?(
On the wall I'm using blend layer for the painted and unpainted/bare wall texture and blend it using a blend mask. The unpainted wall become more bright on the SSDO screenshot compared to the SSAO screenshot :yuck:

second - r_SSAO=4 r_SSAOContrast=2 r_SSDO=0

I bump up the contrast for SSAO on the second image and it does looks better from what SSDO previously can do *even thought the brightening effects on the background of the overlapping objects become exist, note the edge between the lower air-cond unit with the wall behind it.

Just wondering when is it a good time to use SSAO or SSDO?

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community