Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

AI

Cry-Adam
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

AI

Postby Cry-Adam » 01.03.2012, 15:53

Please provide any feedback/issues regarding AI below. Steps to reproduce the issue are necessary in order to find and fix any issues.

Please keep chatter to a minimum in these threads so that it's easier for us to find important information. This first post will be kept up to date with any known issues. Any work-arounds will be posted here also.

Known Issues
  • N/A
tevans
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Re: AI

Postby tevans » 28.08.2014, 23:05

At the bottom of this page it talks about using some commands to debug AI in a multiplayer environment, but only the first ai_Network command seems to exist and enabling it on the server and client doesn't appear to do anything.

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/AI+Debug+Draw
tevans
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby tevans » 11.09.2014, 20:01

This is a request to see if something can be done to greatly speed up the navigation mesh generation. It is so incredibly slow I really HATE using it. I'm not saying that lightly either.

To give you an idea, here's a small part of our map (around 5% of the total map size), and it takes almost 30 minutes to generate the navmesh just for it:

First off, and this lends to the frustration, is that Editor crashes when it isn't the active window all the time. I've reported this in other threads, but it persists and makes it almost impossible to have the mesh recalculate without Editor dying in the process and having to start all over each time. I've already wasted a couple of hours today just on this issue alone.

Here are some of the general issues I have with the way it's implemented currently:

Make it heavily multi-threaded. Use all 8 of my cores and go to work. It's okay if I can't edit at the same time it's making the mesh in this case.

If you have an area with terrain elevation changes, like in my image, to keep the entire area as one mesh you have to make the height really large, which greatly slows down the generation. In the image I really can't make the entire thing from lowest to height as one navmesh because that area has about 400m of elevation change in it and it would takes hours to generate then.

Implementing some way of combining multiple navmeshes together automatically, so that I can piece several together with just the elevation changes for each one that are needed to maximize speed, but when they are all done they are seamless to the AI. Combining multiple overlapping meshes, essentially.

Auto-generate the entire navmesh for me based on the heightmap (the entire level at once), and as it's processing then check to see if there's something it collides with (tree, house, etc.) and have the navmesh go around it, or increase the height at that instant to check for higher objects. With perhaps some sort of hint system for special cases like overhangs. While I could technicall do that today with one massive zone, because of the slow speed and the elevation changes on our map, it would take days to make the mesh.

Allow us access to the source code so we can fix it ourselves.

Something really needs to be done to improve the system though.
CollinBishop
Game Genie
Game Genie

Postby CollinBishop » 19.09.2014, 23:06

Not really complaining. Just posting here that I am glad to see MNM regeneration at runtime is coming to the next release. Excellent work.
skype - "thecollinbishop" email - free3dee@gmail.com
Cry-Adam
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby Cry-Adam » 20.09.2014, 00:21

:) Pretty cool, was playing with it today, so I put that small article together at the same time.

Also popped in an aidebug.cfg file with some common CVars set so you can 'exec aidebug' and you can get all the MNM info you need.

@tevans, this is something that is being discussed internally, the speed of the mesh generation. At the moment it is setup so that it doesn't impede on your work by hogging too much resources, but there are totally valid cases where you want it to do that and just finish ASAP. Though if we do go in that direction it needs to remain optional, some kind of 'offline generation' mode. Will have to see what the AI guys come up with.

For the crashing when the window isn't active there's a new CVar introduced "ed_keepEditorActive" in 3.6.8 which will keep it active when its not in focus. You may find this helps, let me know.

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
Achievement Unlocked: Wear the Winter avatar all year.
tevans
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby tevans » 20.09.2014, 00:45

Thanks, Adam. Some sort of offline mode would be perfectly fine.

This is sort of off topic now, but I fixed the crashing issue by running Sandbox in Vista SP2 compatible mode. I think I saw that Mr.Green recommended that somewhere and it fixed it.
tevans
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby tevans » 21.10.2014, 18:56

Cry-Adam wrote:For the crashing when the window isn't active there's a new CVar introduced "ed_keepEditorActive" in 3.6.8 which will keep it active when its not in focus. You may find this helps, let me know.

It doesn't help. Still crashes for a few of us.
jigglytoes
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby jigglytoes » 30.10.2014, 01:00

Agree with Tevans - we are having the same issue with a very large map that takes an excruciatingly long time to generate Nav data. We've been working around it by having lots of volumes all over the map, but the characters can't go between them. That's okay when we're just hacking things together, but it's not a long-term solution.

Can't wait for a solution!
jigglytoes
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby jigglytoes » 31.10.2014, 08:45

Also - the old bug where Helicopters can't move at more than a snail's pace when following paths is still around - we saw it in 3.5.8 and I still see it in 3.6.9.

The SDK helicopter jiggled back and forth when it tries to move faster than that - according to an engineer on our team, there was something in 3.5.8 buried in the pathfinding code we didn't have access to that was causing it.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community