Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

Changing AI Behaviour

Please use this forum for questions on C++, Lua, XML, and any other languages used in CryENGINE development.

jskidd3
Just getting started
Just getting started

Changing AI Behaviour

Postby jskidd3 » 11.07.2012, 12:23

Hello,

I am currently trying to learn as much as I can about CryEngine AI as I can. One thing that I really want to do is experiment with behaviour. I have created a Zombie AI model and now want to give it its own behaviours. For example, I want to make him faster than normal AI, and perhaps increase the radius in which he can see the player. Maybe even make him play a sound every 10-15 seconds.

I take it I can't do all of that within CryEngine.. or can I? Will I have to learn some C++ or LUA? I'd really appreciate it if someone could advise me on what to do next.

Cheers!
beast
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: Changing AI Behaviour

Postby beast » 11.07.2012, 12:43

Hi,

check the official documentation - its quite comprehensive about AI. You'll read there that AI is controlled via goalpipes and behaviour scripts which are all defined using LUA or XML. So when it comes to AI i think you can do pretty much without the need for C++. Lua/Xml and flow graphs should be enough i guess.

greets,
Oliver
jskidd3
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby jskidd3 » 11.07.2012, 13:16

Thanks very much buddy! Will get studying that now.
faith113
Not my first Rodeo
Not my first Rodeo

Postby faith113 » 11.07.2012, 22:11

A great place to start is by just changing the Grunt. Put your own model in there and set your Behavior Selection Tree in his properties.

If you want to modify the speed of him, refer to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=314&p=1010577

Also, I believe the view radius is already a property in the editor for grunt.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community