Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

Natural Mod for Crysis

Use this section to show off your CE2 modifications

Haloking365
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Haloking365 » 06.01.2008, 08:45

Amazing mod pydon. One suggestion though. Fog only occurs in the mornings at sunrise, and by swamps and bodies of water. So, for example, fog by the river in Relic would be appropriate, or near the sides of mountains. But just throwing fog into places that dont make any sense just looks ugly to me.
Just a suggestion to make your mod better! Awesome job!
Mobo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe | CPU: AMD X2 6000+ | RAM: 3gb dual-channel | GPU: EVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512mb | Monitor: Acer 19" Res: 1440x900 | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech G5/Razer Tarantula
kkbbcute
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby kkbbcute » 06.01.2008, 10:54

You may be right, but the implementation of the fog adds to the "ambience" some extent-I think... Is there a way to do it such that people who dont want it can just scrap it while people who want it can keep it.
The best things in the world are the opposite of the worst. -_-"

| Intel Q6600 OC'ed 2.6Ghz | 4GB Crucial Ballistix RAM | Nvidia 9800GTX |
| Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Antec P182 | Asus P5N-32 SLI |
extraterrestrial
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby extraterrestrial » 06.01.2008, 12:33

Originally posted by kkbbcute
You may be right, but the implementation of the fog adds to the "ambience" some extent-I think... Is there a way to do it such that people who dont want it can just scrap it while people who want it can keep it.

Yeah, that would be really nice. The farsight was something special in this game and the fog is now especially in Traitorsgate´s screenshot a little bit too much.
Last edited by extraterrestrial on 06.01.2008, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
pydon
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby pydon » 06.01.2008, 13:52

Originally posted by Haloking365
Amazing mod pydon. One suggestion though. Fog only occurs in the mornings at sunrise, and by swamps and bodies of water. So, for example, fog by the river in Relic would be appropriate, or near the sides of mountains. But just throwing fog into places that dont make any sense just looks ugly to me.
Just a suggestion to make your mod better! Awesome job!

As kkbbcute says, there is not a lot of parameters for the fog in the TOD, only density, height and color. However, if you look at Island, Village, Harbor, Tank and Mine, the level of fog is lower than version 1.0.

The fog on Rescue is maybe a bit exaggerated compared to the vanilla version, but I don't think it is unnatural for a humid dawn on a tropical island. ;)
extraterrestrial
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby extraterrestrial » 06.01.2008, 19:15

But when you look at this: http://homeweb1.unifr.ch/donzallp/pub/Articles/Crysis%203/images10/ImageB015.jpg

You see nothing, its like playing a 10 years old game. I like most of the changes in your mod, but i cannot live with the fog. It is so beautiful to enjoy the visibility in Crysis and the fog destroys all.
pydon
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby pydon » 06.01.2008, 19:43

Originally posted by extraterrestrial
But when you look at this: http://homeweb1.unifr.ch/donzallp/pub/Articles/Crysis%203/images10/ImageB015.jpg

You see nothing, its like playing a 10 years old game. I like most of the changes in your mod, but i cannot live with the fog. It is so beautiful to enjoy the visibility in Crysis and the fog destroys all.

From my point of view, the capabilities of the CryEngine 2 in term of distance of view should not surpass the natural render. On this map, you have a frozen sphere at about 100°C below zero behind you, so I don't think that you would have less fog in this valley.

On this map, ingame, you can see the distant mountains or the sphere from any point and this screenshot may appear a bit exaggerated because it's taken at the extreme limit of the map. I can't satisfy everyone, but if it appears that the majority disagree with this fog, I'll fix this in a next version. ;)
Last edited by pydon on 06.01.2008, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.
GODzilla
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby GODzilla » 06.01.2008, 19:50

I've already seen what the engine can do when it comes to far veiw, but I really like your maps as they are, with the fog. I think it should stay that way. :)

In most of the maps your fog also adds to the realism. Like far away mountains being covered in "fog" (actually air). It looks good, way better than vanilla where you could mistake a far away mountain with a nearby pile of stones. :rolleyes: :D
GODzillaâ„¢
Shletten
Developer
Developer

Postby Shletten » 06.01.2008, 21:49

I was so looking foward to see some mods of that kind. In fact I always was amazed by modder who improves games' visuals. Like fakefactory for Half-Life 2, and a lot for S.T.A.L.K.E.R etc. And then you arrive with a mod that improves lighting, very good and particulary looks fresher than the vanilla.

I'll come back with more feedback once I'll have it.
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz | 2 Gb DDR2 667 MHz RAM | Geforce 8800 GT 512 Mb |
extraterrestrial
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby extraterrestrial » 06.01.2008, 22:36

Ok, i see, fog in nature is quite normal.
But t can look like this or look like this (which is imho much nicer). Fog in general is good but i would welcome it, if you reduce it a little bit.

€: Or leave the fog in some maps and remove him in others.
Last edited by extraterrestrial on 06.01.2008, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
GODzilla
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby GODzilla » 06.01.2008, 23:03

Originally posted by extraterrestrial
Ok, i see, fog in nature is quite normal.
But t can look like this or look like this (which is imho much nicer). Fog in general is good but i would welcome it, if you reduce it a little bit.

€: Or leave the fog in some maps and remove him in others.

What you see in this pictures is no fog, it's the air that literally blocks your view at far away objects. The more far away they are, the more air is in the way that you have to look through.

Seeing your linked pictures made me think about your request and now I'm also convinced that the effect could be reduced a little. But it should not go entirely.

On maps with real fog (water in the air) I think they should stay the way they are in 1.1 (makes it more ineresting imho), but if most of you want it to be reduced a bit, I could absolutely life with it ;).

@pydon: I have a request: I've currently reached the level "Awakening" and I noticed that when I zoom at the big mountain (using the binoculars) I see suddenly fog "spawning". I'm not sure if this is a general limitation of the engine (some kind of particle-LOD changing with the distance), but if not, I think it should be fixed. Either by adding thicker fog for the normal view (when you see it from far away) or by reducing the fog that appears when you look at it with the scope / binoculars.

Possible? Thanks in advance. And keep it up. :)
Last edited by GODzilla on 06.01.2008, 23:10, edited 2 times in total.
GODzillaâ„¢
TYRANICK
Developer
Developer

Postby TYRANICK » 06.01.2008, 23:11

Could of sworn it was water vapour, not just air.

Anyway i would to be able to see every single fine detail from any distance so i reckon the fog could be reduced a little...is there no way to like "layer" the fog so its denser and lighter at variable distances?

Still im hella gonna try this asap...STILL...my computer has not arrived back yet :(
Q6600 @ 2.4ghz| 8800GTS 512MB G92 @ 700/2050 Stable| Crucial Ballistix (2x1GB) RAM stock
pydon
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby pydon » 06.01.2008, 23:37

Originally posted by GODzilla
@pydon: I have a request: I've currently reached the level "Awakening" and I noticed that when I zoom at the big mountain (using the binoculars) I see suddenly fog "spawning". I'm not sure if this is a general limitation of the engine (some kind of particle-LOD changing with the distance), but if not, I think it should be fixed. Either by adding thicker fog for the normal view (when you see it from far away) or by reducing the fog that appears when you look at it with the scope / binoculars.

Possible? Thanks in advance. And keep it up. :)

I see what you mean, but this glitch is already present in the vanilla game. Some clouds appear suddenly on the mountain when you zoom on it. For now, the only glitch I saw is the halo from light that is a bit too bright in the night.
Last edited by pydon on 06.01.2008, 23:41, edited 3 times in total.
GODzilla
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby GODzilla » 06.01.2008, 23:51

I see, thanks for the reply.

May I ask, what are your ideas for the next version, despite changing some things "the crowd" demanded? :D

Originally posted by TYRANICK
Could of sworn it was water vapour, not just air.

Anyway i would to be able to see every single fine detail from any distance so i reckon the fog could be reduced a little...is there no way to like "layer" the fog so its denser and lighter at variable distances?

Still im hella gonna try this asap...STILL...my computer has not arrived back yet :(

Always keep your computer caged! This'll help avoid it running away... :tongue:
Last edited by GODzilla on 07.01.2008, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
GODzillaâ„¢
James01
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby James01 » 07.01.2008, 03:17

Ugh. Sorry, but everything just looks washed out and bright. I much prefer the lighting in Taowolf's mod.

Here's my comparisons of Taowolf's against "vanilla" Very High.

Taowolf's:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3096/1taowolfyp7.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2489/2taowolfzk6.jpg

Very High:
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8145/1vhmg8.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2890/2vhxv8.jpg

I think it looks much more realistic than the "natural" mod, even if the HDR is a bit overdone in places.
E6600 @ 3.51Ghz | 4GB A-DATA Extreme Edition | 8800GTX @ 621/1458/972Mhz
GODzilla
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby GODzilla » 07.01.2008, 03:27

Have a link to that mod?

/edit: Nevermind, found it. But it's just a config file, not a mod. Well, taste is different. ;)

/edit2: Just tested Taowolfs config and it costs me 4 to 5 fps while looking worse - that said with using pydons maps of course (and I'm not going to change this). Maybe it's better with vanilla, but I doubt it, because actually I was using the map "Relic" as testing ground, which has much fog on it with pydons changes.

In the end I'm not sure what I should think of a praised config mod that starts with a command to enable vsync... :rolleyes:...and let's me constantly think I'm in the middle of a nuclear explosion --> the HDR is horrible! The command for disabling texture streaming is present twice. Sorry, but that doesn't seem to be a polished work at all.

I'll surely try some of the commands, insert them in my own config (which is based on pydons config) and see if it gives me another fps or two, but that's all.

As standalone I wouldn't recommend this config. Of course everything is sponsored by IMHO (R). ;)
Last edited by GODzilla on 07.01.2008, 04:27, edited 3 times in total.
GODzillaâ„¢

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community