Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

Level Design Demo Reels

Use this section to show off miscellaneous CE2 projects including Fan Art, ToD's, Configs other projects.

ultranew_b
Producer
Producer

Level Design Demo Reels

Postby ultranew_b » 26.01.2011, 22:58

Hey, I'm starting work on my demo reel.

I was hoping some experts here could share some tips and advice.

Examples of a good demo reel that landed a job would be really useful.

I've seen a few on youtube, but I don't know who these people are and if they were successful demo reels or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers !
Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 03.02.2011, 23:35

I am putting together mine as we speak.

I'm going to make a portfolio which im going to send by ordinary mail.
My portfolio (which consists of 12 plastic pages with 2 images (normal photosize) and some description on each side)

When my portfolio is finished i can have it scanned so you can see how i built it up.

A few good things to include would be :
* 1 video of each level (1-2min in length? in 1080p, using capture_frames in x2/x4 Full HD and then downsizing to 1080p).
* 4-6 images of each level (in 1080p, using e_screenshot or capture_frames in x2/x4 Full HD and then downsizing to 1080p).
* a DVD to store fullsize images and videos (1080p).
* make the portfolio good looking, buy some black paper and glue those images on that with white/silver text description (find a good font).
* don't put to many images or videos in your portfolio, only those you are the most happy with. having 100-200 images on a
DVD isn't going to increase your chances, it only takes up more time for Crytek to read thru it).
* keep your portfolio tidy and don't throw in too much text about each picture, go straight to the point!
* add some text about yourself, maybe a resume ?

* be sure to send it at the right time! (luck is always a factor, maybe Crytek needs a person right now and you show up at the same time with impressive work ?)
That has already happend with a few Crymod users who got hired. Right time, right place.

During a possible interview (with Crytek?) :
* dress up like any other crytek dude would (check the dev videos, atleast put some clothes on!)
* do background checks on the company (when they started, how many games, copies sold, how team works, how many studios they own, etc...)
* don't lie / brag about yourself, be honest!
* if you can't work in groups / teams - don't bother showing up for the interview!
* if you have a very cocky attitude (like i'm the best level designer in the world) - don't bother showing up for the interview!
* be humble and listen to what they say (and yes they have more experience than you do, remember that!)

When they ask you when you can start, you say NOW!

edit : It wouldn't hurt to have an online portfolio at http://www.carbonmade.com
Last edited by Lavizh on 04.02.2011, 00:00, edited 11 times in total.

Blablah
Producer
Producer

Postby Blablah » 03.02.2011, 23:41

* dress up like any other crytek dude would (check the dev videos)
* don't lie / brag about yourself, be honest!

Contradiction :>
Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 03.02.2011, 23:42

Whops.

But you get my drift, atleast put some clothes on for gods sake! :D
Last edited by Lavizh on 03.02.2011, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

ultranew_b
Producer
Producer

Postby ultranew_b » 04.02.2011, 00:13

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I posed the same question over at Mapcore.com. A forum frequented by many level design professionals (including crytek staff). Got some interesting responses.

The most interesting response was to not make a level design demo reel. Demo reels are more for animators/particle effects guys. Stuff that shows motion. Instead make a really good portfolio with your best work. Keep it simple. Then be prepared to explain your levels in depth ( your design philosophy) during an interview.

Check out the mapcore thread:

http://forums.mapcore.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15897&p=283484#p283484

cheers

:D
Last edited by ultranew_b on 04.02.2011, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Fortran
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby Fortran » 04.02.2011, 04:01

LMFAO at the demo reel > http://vimeo.com/19368587 aside from that bit of comedy some really solid suggestions in there :) Good luck with it! Personally think portfolios such as HP's are really what you should be aiming for (minus the game art). http://www.helderpinto.com/ Helder (if you didn't know) was hired by Crytek and used to be a member of Crymod.
Last edited by Fortran on 04.02.2011, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Associate Producer - New World Interactive
Lavizh
News Posters
News Posters

Postby Lavizh » 04.02.2011, 09:56

Helder "HP" Pinto, Cry-Puppy and Xzero (in May) are all good examples of how/why they got hired by Crytek.
I think Cry-Puppy was at the right place at the right time. Impressed the right people.

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community