[WIP] Nuclear Cataclysm

Use this section to show off your CE2 modifications

maniac2109
Just getting started
Just getting started

[WIP] Nuclear Cataclysm

Postby maniac2109 » 15.01.2012, 21:06

Hi everyone!

In this thread, I want to show my Crysis mod "NuclearCataclysm". I have been working almost one and a half year on this mod, so I already got some stuff to show you.

FEATURES
  • 4 Maps with detailed leveldesign
  • Thrilling storyline
  • Various settings (see screenshots below)
  • Custom content like new skins, sounds, weapons and objects
  • secondary missions you can do by choice
  • free, crysis-like gameplay as well es fast, action-packed gameplay featured

PROGRESS
At the moment, I have completed 2 maps. Leveldesign of the third map is also nearly finished, but there is still a lot to do for missionobjectives, AI, Cutscenes etc.

UPDATES
Here is a list of the updates. They have newer screenshots and provide more Information about certain things.

SCREENSHOTS
Here are some screenshots showing the leveldesign of all three maps. Hope you like it :)
(If you want me to upload the images to the crydev server due to dead links, I'll do so, but abload.de usually keeps the images very long and makes it much easier.)

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Here are some screens showing weapon skins and Korean special forces (last one edited with photoshop):

Image Image Image

TRAILER
Here is the trailer. I finished it just a week ago. As I saw, Thomy has already posted the trailer in his CryeDev blog :)) Thanks for that! :)
In the trailer you can see parts of the leveldesign and some gameplay elements. All footage shown after 1:08 is taken directly from crysis, except some lens flare and slight color correction effects i made in after effects.

[Link to youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2YdYnyIowc]
As you might have noticed, you can hear some information about the background story. If you want to read more about that, here's the

BACKGROUND STORY
To explain the events in the game and to give them a bit more depht, I wrote a little background story for NuclearCataclysm. Of course it isn't perfect. Maybe I'll write more in the future :)
During the game, you will clear up many secrets concerning the story.
Hope the translation is correct, I'm still learning :P

After the nuclear crisis in Japan in 2011 the US government decided to start the development of a new weaponthat was supposed to have the explosive power of an atomic bomb, but sets just a small amount of atomic radiation free to prevent late sequels in the target area. The project, which was judged as top secret, was startet in early 2012 and got the name "PNWMD".
But because you can't reach the explosive power of a nuke with conventional methods, the scientists picked up the principle of the atomic bomb, but were believing they could reduce the amount of emitted radiation by adding some special substances. Five years later, in summer 2017, the development team believed they made a first breakthrough and finished two prototypes. In the conviction, that the bomb will set only a very small amount of radiation free, the government approved a top secret weapon test in Nevada in fall 2017. On October, the 14th 2017, the first prototype was fired. But the results were catastrophic: The explosion power was as big as the power of a nuke, but the emitted radiaton was also many times over the amount of a normal atomic bomb. Many operators and scientists got ill in the following months. After the incident became public, many human rights and environmental protection organisations interposed; The US stood shortly before loosing its face. To keep their international esteem, the US admitted the existence of the project, but called the weapon test an accident and claimed, there is no other prototype. The project was stopped officially.
But in 2018, a former worker published information about the second prototype. The government decided to send the second prototype abroad and modified an ohio-class nuclear submarine to carry the bomb. On April the 18th 2018, the submarine put to sea. But two days later, the submarine vanished from the radar. There are no informations about that incident. The investigations were stopped at the end of 2019.
In the middle of 2020, the NASA noticed slightly increased radiation above some small islands in North Korea. After some investigations, several hints came up, showing that North Korea could be responsible for the missing submarine.
Because the political climate between North Korea and the USA got worse, the USA feared an attack with the PNWMD-prototype. This would not only cause the death of hundreds of thousand people, but also the loss of the USA's international esteem. Due to that, the US army decided to send a recon team to North Korea to look for the missing bomb.

RELEASE DATE
At the moment, I can't (and I dont want) determine a final release date. But I think I can release the map on summer this year.

EXTERNAL PAGES

Ok, I hope I didn't forgot something :P I'd be very happy about any comments, criticisms or opinions.
Of course, I'll keep you updated about any news or updates! :)

>maniac2109
Last edited by maniac2109 on 02.06.2013, 15:13, edited 6 times in total.
DevilDante
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Re: [WIP] Nuclear Cataclysm

Postby DevilDante » 15.01.2012, 22:52

Wow, looks great !
Nice job with it so far, though that's quite the same environment we've seen for almost five years (Crysis/Crysis Warhead).
Anyway, it looks like a very promising mod and that's the important thing. :)
maniac2109
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby maniac2109 » 16.01.2012, 20:27

DevilDante wrote:Wow, looks great !
Nice job with it so far, though that's quite the same environment we've seen for almost five years (Crysis/Crysis Warhead).
Anyway, it looks like a very promising mod and that's the important thing. :)

Thank you! :D
Of course, most of the environment is not new at all. On some areas, I even tried to do the leveldesign exactly like that typical island-setting, because I think that is what the cryengine can do best and i like it very much :)
But there are also parts with other settings, such as the bunker or the factory area.
However, I think you could have some fun with it :P
megalolpronoob
Developer
Developer

Postby megalolpronoob » 16.01.2012, 20:43

8o. O my god! Amazin video! And how many time you do this mod?
Last edited by megalolpronoob on 17.01.2012, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
maniac2109
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby maniac2109 » 16.01.2012, 20:56

@megalolpronoob:
Thanks a lot! :))
I'ts the first real project I made myself, but I already helped on some other projects like Invaded Paradise and Lost in Paradise (Invaded Paradise's sequel, not finished yet) and made a few trailers for other projects (you can visit my youtube channel if you want to watch them, but there are not all of them :P ).
megalolpronoob
Developer
Developer

Postby megalolpronoob » 17.01.2012, 14:38

:) Thanks for the links, maniac2109 !
F37
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby F37 » 17.01.2012, 22:28

The trailer is seriously kicking some ass, you are super good at making trailers thats for sure. Minor crits (I am old style :easter: ) : I would like to see 20-30 sec of actual gameplay in a 2 minutes trailer. As for the trailer, it almost competes with AAA games : you bring this particular feeling "modern" trailers show.

3 maps is a lot of content, nice commitment. I personally share your opinion that CE2 showcase jungles like no others Engine, and I still appreciate Island-like environnements.
Judging by the screenshots, you could improve a little bit vegetation and rock placement, even if it already looks good.
I like the interior, although they seem too dark : CE2 can provide great lighting inside building. You might use a few more light sources, unless you aim at that creepy feeling.

Trailer show a lot of entities I like in Crysis. Nice addition of skins and assets too. Do you plan to use some Warhead assets ?

Plot sounds good for a Crysis game experience (provide fights and explosions :D ).

I wish you good luck with your project, and btw ask RED to update Lost in paradise Crydev thread !

PS: whats the music in the trailer ?
maniac2109
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby maniac2109 » 17.01.2012, 23:04

F37, thanks for your detailed answer! :))
Well, actually I really didn't want to show some gameplay in that trailer, because I think gameplay shots decrease the quality of a trailer a bit. I'm always trying to give the trailers something like a "flow" (hard to describe :P ), by using smooth camera movement for example. Gameplay-footage ist mostly very "unconsistent" (e.g. aiming at enemies) and I can't plan the events happening during the video properly. Because of that, I prefer making trackview sequences, showing existing cutscenes or composing the trailer out of various shots.
Btw, many shots are taken directly ingame, like the landing VTOLs, the landing c17, the airstrike, 1st-person-tank-drive and the last two shots, only with disabled HUD und without weapons :p
But I'm planning to do a seperate gameplay video for the future. But I don't know what or how much is shown there yet :happy:
Judging by the screenshots, you could improve a little bit vegetation and rock placement, even if it already looks good.

The vegetation-placement on the screens doesn't represent the current state of leveldesign, I'm always adding, changing or deleting something I don't like when looking through my maps :P I think I will upload some other screens later showing a bit more of outside areas and vegetation. The two screens I posted are very near to each other.
The lighting (especially tods) are also not finished yet, allthough the 3 areas in the screens i posted will remain like now, because they show abandoned areas and should be a little bit fearsome :evil:
I've already used a lot of Crysis Warhead assets (like the train or some airfield buildings). I will deliver the objects I used with the mod but will also provide a version without objects for those who have the warhead_objects.pak :)
And yes, there are some really big explosions :D
I have just sent RED a message, he's going to post an update quite soon :)
The music is called "Defender of Worlds" by Chris Haigh (performed by Gothic Storm). Just look at the video description :cheesy:

PS: I'm still learning English so there are surely some mistakes, but I hope you will get my point :))

@megalolpronoob: My pleasure :)
maniac2109
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby maniac2109 » 26.02.2012, 16:09

Hello everyone! :)

Today I want to show you something I made in the last weeks. Because I had a lack of motivation to work on the actual mod, I created a fully flyable F-35.
I made the behaviour, movement and controls quite similar to the jets in Battlefield 3, that means you can control the jet quite directly and easy, so you don't need much practice. Of course, that also means that the jet's movement is not 100% physically correct.

Once you are sitting in the jet, you can switch between cockpit and 3rd-person view, as shown on the screens. The 3rd-Person view is following the jet's movement with a small delay to make it a bit more dynamic.

Image Image Image
In the cockpit view, you can see two large monitors (MFDs) and a HUD. The left monitor gives you information about your current speed and height and the state of the flare/chaff system. The right monitor informs you about the weapon you have currently selected. The HUD in the front window shows you information about pitch and roll.
These features were not possible without the great work of ODemuth who created a cool new cockpit and some objects which were necessary for the HUD.
(I know, both the cockpit and the HUD are not 100% realistic, but we decided two build the cockpit in this way. :P )

Currently, the F35 is equipped with three weapon systems. You can switch between the GAU-12 gattling gun, eight AIM120 short-range air-to-air-missiles and two AGM-65 air-to-ground missiles.
The right display shows you status and availability of the weapons:

Image Image Image
You can fire the gau cannon whenever you want, it's very useful for dogfights, as you can see in the images below:

Image Image Image

To fire the air-to-ground missiles, you have to look for a nice target, align the aircraft's nose to the target and enjoy the fireworks :D

Image Image Image

To fire a air-to-air missile, you need a target with a strong heat source, just like an enemy aircraft :)
If the target is in range, the weapon system will try to lock on the enemy aircraft (see screen 1: whilst trying to lock, the symbol is flashing with increasing frequency; on screen 2 the target is locked). Then you can fire some rockets and watch them while they're doing their work: :P

Image Image Image

Here i have to give thanks to ODemuth again. He helped me with with the vector calculations which are necessary for the target locking system. Thank you very, very much! :)

Maybe you have already noticed them on the screens: There are also enemy aircrafts which can act quite autonomous. They can either patrol on a defined path or, when the player is flying directly behind them, fly random maneuvers like curves, barrel rolls etc. to get rid of the player.
This is working pretty good and it's quite funny :D
If you get very close to the aircraft or it gets behind you by chance, it tries to place itself at your back to shoot you with his cannon. You can shake them off by flying very sharp curves.
I also wanted to make enemy air-to-air missiles, but they're quite hard to build and I don't know if I'll build them.
Hit registration and health also works yet. If you get hit, your health decreases. At approx. 70%, your F35 starts to slightly pull right and smokes, accompanied with alert sounds. At approx. 30% it catches fire, and pulls quite hard right and down. Then it can't repair itself anymore.

That entire system will be featured in my mod. It will be placed in a nice mission, which is running during the main missions. But I don't know, if it's going to be a normal mission or just a bonus at the end of the game. I think this is decided by the Beta tests.

The hole system is mainly build with FlowGraphs. Actually, I wanted to make a short video about the aircraft, but unfortunately the cockpit camera starts to lagg when I'm recording. :puppy:

Sorry for the long update, I hope you like the F35! :)) Of course, I'm also working on the actual mod. At the moment, I'm creating a nice CutScene :P

And I got some new screens for you! I made them in the second map. Hope you like them! :happy:

Image Image Image

I'd be very happy about comments and criticism! :)

>maniac2109
Last edited by maniac2109 on 27.02.2012, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
modsuki
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby modsuki » 26.02.2012, 16:20

Looks great. I waaaant flight mission of the jet! :p
My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
megalolpronoob
Developer
Developer

Postby megalolpronoob » 26.02.2012, 17:07

I want it!! 8o Amazing! Great work! :D
andrey_filantrop
Producer
Producer

Postby andrey_filantrop » 26.02.2012, 21:17

It's looking very cool, but would you be so kind to provide direct links to your pictures, as there are a lot of spam coming on my screen after clicking your previevs. Thanks :)
Loving God gives you Happiness, Knowledge, Strength and Freedom.
AURAYAMA on Crydev & AURAYAMA in Russia :)
Portfolio: AndreyFilantrop on deviantART
Life by FlowGraph!
F37
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby F37 » 27.02.2012, 12:06

Well, F-35 model and texture isn't the best asset of Crysis game but your work with it is huge, nice !

I am surprised by the 3rd screen with lighthouse beam position compared with NK outpost, they must be so dazzled they will turn blind :easter:

Good work dude, keep it up !
maniac2109
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby maniac2109 » 27.02.2012, 15:04

Many thanks for all the nice comments dudes! :))

@andrey_filantrop: Fixed the links (also in the 1st post). Now the thumbnails will bring you directly to the pictures. I didn't notice that because I'm using an ad blocker, so thanks for the notice! :D

@F37: Yeah, you're right, unfortunately it's really not the best, especially the texture, I think. But because the the hole aircraft has only one UV-map, it's hard to improve...
The "parking position" of flaps & rudders is also not very useful, but I would already know a solution for that :P
they must be so dazzled they will turn blind :easter:

Oh, I didn't thought of that :unsure: Maybe I have to give them sunglasses :cheesy:
F37
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby F37 » 28.02.2012, 20:57

Don't worry dude, just don't make a 360┬░ rotational beam for the lighthouse :easter:

That shouldn't be your priority, but I think you should experiment higher contrasts on your early morning ToD

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community