Forums Gallery Downloads LOGIN |REGISTER

Vegetation

User avatar Cry-Adam
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Vegetation

Postby Cry-Adam » 19.04.2012, 14:42

Please provide any feedback/issues regarding Vegetation below. Steps to reproduce the issue are necessary in order to find and fix any issues.

Please keep chatter to a minimum in these threads so that it's easier for us to find important information. This first post will be kept up to date with any known issues. Any work-arounds will be posted here also.

Known Issues
  • Fit To Terrain option currently not available (CE-1525).
  • Procedural vegetation results differ in Pure-Game vs Editor (CE-3794).

Feature Request
  • Option to "use on terrain layer" for two or more vegetation objects at once.
User avatar TrustyJam
Just getting started
Just getting started

Re: Vegetation

Postby TrustyJam » 29.04.2015, 18:32

Here you go. Two SDK ground textures painted with two different SDK vegetation objects as procedural spawned: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/564hhi2yhn3z ... T5zGa?dl=0

How it is in the editor: Image

And the launcher: Image

It either does that - "forgetting" to spawn some of the procedural layers, or spam the entire level with non procedural trees in our case.

It's been a serious issue for us for ages. Hopefully you guys will be able to squash it. :)

I then spawned some 900 SDK trees as vegetation objects in the level.

Here is the editor: Image

And here are the trees being spawned like crazy as procedural vegetation even though they've never been set to that in the launcher: Image

Here's the link to the updated level with the procedural-nonprocedural trees: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/flgujk5r5r5b ... mxopa?dl=0

- Trusty
User avatar Swanton007
Developer
Developer

Postby Swanton007 » 30.04.2015, 02:26

Back Color is causing issues with proper Vegetation/Terrain Color Blending.

Back Color helps add detail to vegetation assets, and it absolutely needs to remain, however it creates several issues with assets far from the camera. These are listed bellow.

Also, for the simulated "Back Color Off" images, I use a white normal map, with the sun directly above (12:00) to remove as much back color as possible. This effect falls apart when the sun is at another angle though, so this isn't a solution.

Issue 1: High Density Vegetation looks "Jumbled up" and aliased at range
Back Color On: Image
Simulated Back Color Off: Image
(Much nicer, much softer. Less Realistic upclose though. Maybe a bit too bright, since its no longer being darkened by back color)

Issue 2: Terrain Color Blending is Inaccurate
Back Color On:Image

(Super inaccurate.... Its supposed to be pure white)
Simulated Back Color Off: Image

(Very nice blend, the majority of the grass matches the terrain color perfectly, the remaining parts are perfectly adjacent to the sun, and thus they are simulated to have 100% back color. The LOD fades these polys out, and thus the transition toward the end is near perfect)

My proposed fix: Add a distance falloff to the back color, preferably with a slider. Or even a flag to disable it, this way grass meshes can be setup, so their LOD has a separate material with the back color disabled, although a seam may be noticeable then, so a falloff + slider would be preferred.

My level for download:
Attachments
Veg_Back_Color_Issue.zip
The Level + A few materials for showing the issue (all stock content)
(73.62 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Facebook | IndieDB | Steam
User avatar themodman101
Producer
Producer

Postby themodman101 » 30.04.2015, 02:33

Not having any problems with my grass anymore swanton, maybe its your setup? My new grass looks as how its expected. Which is nice. However it would be nice if we could get some sort of special AA for grass. Dunno how that would work, since Alphatest is quite jaggy.
WIP Portfolio:
http://www.ryanschake3D.weebly.com (Very old now)

"True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches
User avatar Swanton007
Developer
Developer

Postby Swanton007 » 01.05.2015, 04:11

The assets I'm using here are stock SDK grass assets, at close distances (like in the woodland demo) they look great. However, when building more vast landscapes where Terrain Color blending is necessary, this back color really messes the results up, and creates a very obvious seam between terrain and vegetation. This is the core of the issue.
Facebook | IndieDB | Steam

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community