Programmers and Cry engine 3

Discuss topics unrelated to CRYENGINE.

Benji385
Not my first Rodeo
Not my first Rodeo

Programmers and Cry engine 3

Postby Benji385 » 11.06.2012, 07:55

Hey,

I am getting ready to take the dive into game development as a full time serious career with CryEngine. Which means contacting the Crytek licensing department for information on the indie license.

Are there any programmers here on the CryDev boards?
Because I have been hunting for a good while now for a programmer for a project of mine and I cannot find one... :/
Which makes me uneasy with choosing the CE3 with this project of mine.

I can come by 3D and 2D artists just fine. . . I just cannot find any programmers . . .

Mainly because I am one (3D/2D Artist)
Ultimarage
Producer
Producer

Re: Programmers and Cry engine 3

Postby Ultimarage » 11.06.2012, 08:12

You're not going to get programmers without a clear prototype to show them. Something tangible.

Prototype gameplay using trackview if you must, or even build basic systems through flowgraph.
Benji385
Not my first Rodeo
Not my first Rodeo

Postby Benji385 » 11.06.2012, 08:47

Ultimarage wrote:You're not going to get programmers without a clear prototype to show them. Something tangible.

Prototype gameplay using trackview if you must, or even build basic systems through flowgraph.

Hey, Ultimarage -

Does a game design document count? I have one written up.

If it does not I will prototype my game play with the track view editor :)
Adsolution
Database Support
Database Support

Postby Adsolution » 11.06.2012, 10:24

Benji385 wrote:
Ultimarage wrote:You're not going to get programmers without a clear prototype to show them. Something tangible.

Hey, Ultimarage -

Well, people want to see progress and media. Are you familiar with the phrase 'idea guy?'
Rover Eye
Developer
Developer

Postby Rover Eye » 11.06.2012, 11:01

You can try putting up your GDD, some arts and concepts also help, and if a programmer really likes your gameplay concept, you'll know what to do ;)

RE
Benji385
Not my first Rodeo
Not my first Rodeo

Postby Benji385 » 11.06.2012, 18:36

RayFan9876 wrote:
Benji385 wrote:

Hey, Ultimarage -

Well, people want to see progress and media. Are you familiar with the phrase 'idea guy?'

Yes I am familiar with the term and we have allot of them around here *Looks at recruitment section*

I do not consider myself an Idea guy - As I know how to 3D Model and Texture plus i can pull my own weight on a project. :)

As far as I am aware Idea guys just give ideas and expect people to do it. Similar to a publisher but a publisher pays you for your work.

Anyways that is the end of my rant.
Cry-Adam
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby Cry-Adam » 11.06.2012, 18:44

Any reason why this isn't in the recruitment section?

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
Achievement Unlocked: Wear the Winter avatar all year.
Benji385
Not my first Rodeo
Not my first Rodeo

Postby Benji385 » 11.06.2012, 18:51

Cry-Adam wrote:Any reason why this isn't in the recruitment section?

I thought it would be inappropriate for the recruitment section.

See the first post if you have not already. I am just talking about how uneasy I am with cryengine 3 and the lack of programmers.

BTW feel free to close this thread if needs be. :)
Adsolution
Database Support
Database Support

Postby Adsolution » 11.06.2012, 20:57

Benji385 wrote:I do not consider myself an Idea guy - As I know how to 3D Model and Texture plus i can pull my own weight on a project. :)

As far as I am aware Idea guys just give ideas and expect people to do it. Similar to a publisher but a publisher pays you for your work.

Keep in mind, many of the 'idea guys' in the recruitment section do actually have skills. ;)
Ultimarage
Producer
Producer

Postby Ultimarage » 11.06.2012, 21:27

Benji385 wrote:Yes I am familiar with the term and we have allot of them around here *Looks at recruitment section*

I do not consider myself an Idea guy - As I know how to 3D Model and Texture plus i can pull my own weight on a project. :)

You're an idea guy until you actually create something. :P

If you can model and texture, then why don't you create some stuff that you can show off for your concept? Should be easy with a design document written up. :)

If your stuff is good, you will attract programmers. However, there's nothing right now that really says 'This project is awesome, I want to work on it!'

That's how you attract people to help you. Create something awesome, spread it, and people will come naturally.
Benji385
Not my first Rodeo
Not my first Rodeo

Postby Benji385 » 11.06.2012, 21:53

Ultimarage wrote:
Benji385 wrote:Yes I am familiar with the term and we have allot of them around here *Looks at recruitment section*

You're an idea guy until you actually create something. :P

If you can model and texture, then why don't you create some stuff that you can show off for your concept? Should be easy with a design document written up. :)

If your stuff is good, you will attract programmers. However, there's nothing right now that really says 'This project is awesome, I want to work on it!'

That's how you attract people to help you. Create something awesome, spread it, and people will come naturally.

In all honesty I did not know that :p
Adsolution
Database Support
Database Support

Postby Adsolution » 11.06.2012, 22:38

Benji385 wrote:In all honesty I did not know that :p

Really? It's basic human psyche.... :P Nonetheless, I look forward to what you have to show!

Connect and collaborate with CRYENGINE developers in the official Forums.
Visit the Gallery to share what you have created and be inspired by what others are creating with CRYENGINE.
Community