Re: Amazon released CryEngine based Lumberyard Engine

Postby tothespace » 10.02.2016, 16:02

That`s what I`m thinking, too.
User avatar sdswz1983
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby sdswz1983 » 10.02.2016, 16:02

Did Amazon hire any Crytek engineer? If not I'm afraid Lumberyard won't go much further feature-wise except some cloud service stuffs.

As Crytek has already released full Cryengine source code to VR First attenders, it's highly possible they will do the same to EaaS in the future.
User avatar NightDev
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby NightDev » 10.02.2016, 16:04

sunnlok wrote:The question is on what changes amazon will focus. I have the suspicion it will primarily be focused at cloud stuff and social integration.

They already said it, everything is free, except their cloud services. So the only way for them to any money is to sell any possible cloud service that they can integrate into.
User avatar spotdot
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby spotdot » 10.02.2016, 17:05

so many people talk about this Lumber thing... I have to try it out now :)
going to be a Grandpa soon :)
User avatar Creating1
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby Creating1 » 10.02.2016, 18:04

Well roll on GDC lets see what it is that crytek have planned.
Is it me or is lumberyard what crytek could of done when ue4 opened its source code.

what if they merged the two, eaas and this lumberyard. crytek now have a large company backer, who knows what vast improvements and new features could be added.
new store for the crydevs plus order other stuff at the same time. another place to sell your game.
The Begin of the start, until we reach Blackout.
We then Rise to the Future, The Future I'll be gone in the End.
User avatar Craig911
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby Craig911 » 10.02.2016, 18:12

Lumberyard is just another FreeSDK :cheesy:
All my battles have been won,but the war has just begun.
User avatar enes77
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby enes77 » 10.02.2016, 19:36

Creating1 wrote:Well roll on GDC lets see what it is that crytek have planned.
Is it me or is lumberyard what crytek could of done when ue4 opened its source code.

what if they merged the two, eaas and this lumberyard. crytek now have a large company backer, who knows what vast improvements and new features could be added.
new store for the crydevs plus order other stuff at the same time. another place to sell your game.

Actually that doesn't sound bad at all, i like this idea.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/enes77
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
User avatar DGrimProductions
Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 10.02.2016, 19:51

Rather not...
★★★★ General (seriously i talk to much)
ME ARE DADDY!! :)
User avatar tevans
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby tevans » 10.02.2016, 20:10

For those that may be interested, here's a longer synopsis I sent to a colleague that asked about Lumberyard:

It's 99.9% full CryEngine source at this point. The main differences are:

1) They reorganized a lot of the "features" to break them down into "Gems", which makes the base messier to work with and currently adds additional complexity that really isn't needed - like breaking the "Lightning Arc" entity out as an individual gem, for example, which you can pick during project creation.
2) The networking layer is completely replaced. The new one has less latency, but also increases bandwidth (doesn't use the network compression system), and still transfers all data to all clients, so it will not scale.
3) Scaleform/Flash is removed - they have their own simplistic UI system currently - very basic stuff.
4) Steam integration has been removed (see paragraph below)
5) Crytek's lobby system is removed
6) Some experimental features like Segmented Worlds have been completely removed
7) I like the way they are trying to make the initial development more project focused - create a project, pick the gems you want to use, etc., but right now it's a little confusing and they need to clean it up - feels very "hacked" in currently
8) Not open source - you can't distribute any source code modification you make - DLLs should be fine from what I read in the EULA
9) All current CE limitations are still in place - memory restrictions, map size restrictions, AI system, and so forth.
10) You get full source for everything - Launchers, editor (Sandbox), and shaders included.

The biggest downside is anything that requires a network server is locked into the AWS services. The exception is if you host the servers yourself, in your own datacenter, then that's fine, but very few people/companies will be willing to do that. Any Web APIs or services that would compete with an AWS service is not allowed. This means that you can't use Steam's ladderboards, achievements, messaging, storage, or anything like that because AWS has a competing service in place - it's why Steam integration appears to have been removed. You can sell the game on Steam, just not integrate with any back-end Steam services. So, for a single-player game you still need to use AWS' services for those if you want them.

If any of the above is incorrect, I apologize, and please correct me.
User avatar Adik_Ger
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Adik_Ger » 10.02.2016, 21:03

Very interesting...
I took a look at Lumberyard and i was shocked to see that they also have SVOTI integrated.
What i don't understand about Lumberyard is, why are they keeping the Cryengine sytle "UI" is it show developers look it's the same thing like cryengine just free or is it simply laziness.
At least i would integrate a good looking and user friendly UI, maybe even a few requested features from the cryengine forum... And here we go... But no they left like everything like it is just reorganized it "expect the features and cut offs tevans mentioned".
User avatar DavAguirre
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby DavAguirre » 10.02.2016, 21:11

NightDev wrote:
DavAguirre wrote:The majority of the people that have EaaS will probably switch immediately.

I don't plan to switch.

DavAguirre wrote: Plus the open source code will allow for the community to contribute to the engine, just like UE4, it will evolve just as fast.

Bullshit. Period.

Chill man, I'm not switching either, just telling what I think can happen based on what happened with UE4 ;)
User avatar CollinBishop
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby CollinBishop » 10.02.2016, 21:50

To begin I am posting this to honor what I have said in the past and remain on this forum as a user and community member. I am not making this post on behalf of Crytek or even representing any messages on their behalf.

Plain and simple Amazon released an engine that is the CE framework and it provides everything that everyone on this forum has dreamed of regarding shader/engine/editor source code. There are downsides regarding some limitations CE has always had and also being nested with several Amazon services. This is to be expected with any company investing into a market.

So as a user you can learn and make your own guided decision on how to proceed. On one hand you have that package with Lumberyard and in our case you have CE that continues to evolve. I can promise you I have slaved away since I have gotten here in Frankfurt to provide the users of this community as much as I possibly can this year. I want each and every one of you to succeed and make something you are proud of. Regardless of brands I champion the cause of you reaching to points you never saw possible.

I assure you in 2016 we will be reaching levels of progress that myself could have never done alone back in America remotely. Crytek brought me on for a reason and that shows action on their part. So don't forget about the users here and how I being the same as you am here to represent the community and push you all to the next level. Your voice is always heard and I rarely forget the community and what I owe you all.

P.S. DGrim I still owe you an explanation on that suspension thread.
User avatar DGrimProductions
Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 10.02.2016, 22:19

See, we gost "the Collin". Lumber has jack
★★★★ General (seriously i talk to much)
ME ARE DADDY!! :)
User avatar Fabriciuz
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby Fabriciuz » 10.02.2016, 22:53

Lovely comment Collin, looking forward to see what Crytek has in store for Cryengine in the coming year!
User avatar neverfollow81
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby neverfollow81 » 10.02.2016, 23:01

Indeed, to add to what Collin said, I've noticed how the documentation is getting so much more attention. looking forward to updates/additions left and right, sort of speak