Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

So you're just starting? READ THIS THREAD FIRST! Your questi

Any level design topics should be posted in this forum, including terrain, effects and other related queries.

User avatar Beac
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

So you're just starting? READ THIS THREAD FIRST! Your questi

Postby Beac » 07.01.2008, 21:53

So, you've just got Crysis, and you want to start using the awesome SandBox2 Editor? I can't blame you, it's fantastic. So first thing's first.

1: Where's the editor?

Easy, navigate into your Crysis disk, and go to the "Sandbox 2" folder.
Run the installer from there, when it's done, go to your Crysis Directory, into the Bin32/64 folder, and run the "Editor.exe" file.

2: I want to Ctrl-G jump into my level, but the screen just freezes and I don't go in!

Before you can play, you need to -> file - export to engine, save, then restart the editor and reload your map. Then you can start playing.

3: How do I spawn explosive barrels/vehicles etc etc?

If you want them to have physics, e.g; Explode, move, etc, you need to use an ArchetypeEntity for now. This is accessible from your RollUpBar, under the Objects tab (Furthest left one) and then Archetype Entity.
You'll immediately say, "There's nothing there!" So first we have to load the databases. Go to View, Database View. The database view will pop up, you should by default be on the "Entity" tab. Underneath the Entity Tab, you'll see a folder icon, click it. You'll then see some libraries. Double click them one by one, until you've done them all. You can then exit the database view, and go back to the main view. Go back into the RollUpBar, choose Archetype Entities, and it should be populated! The libraries are pretty straightforwardly named, and you can even search for things in the little bar underneath! How useful is that? ;)

4: What's the difference between Archetype Entity, Entity, Brush, and Prefab?

The two basic objects in Sandbox are:

Brush - Static object. Cannot be manipulated in any way except if it has been set up to break by the artist who created the asset. Can not be used or added to flow graph. Examples: Rocks, concrete buildings. Cheap on performance.

Entity - Anything in the game that needs to interact in some way. Can be added to and used in flow graphs. Examples: Triggers, AI dudes, vehicles. Adding a lot of entities can slow down performance.

Geom entity is a very cheap entity, performance wise. It has a very limited set of properties and can only be used in a limited way in flow graph.

An archetype entity is an entity that has its properties defined in the entity archetype library in the DataBase view. If you change a property of an entity in the Archetype library it is reflected in all archetypes of that type that are placed in all levels. This is good for consistency. You can make sure that a barrel for example has the same weight in all levels or a certain AI type has the same sight range all over the game.

A prefab is a group of brushes and/or entities. You can for example place a hut and decorate it with props and place weapons inside and then make a prefab out of it. If this prefab is placed in several locations, throughout several levels even, and you choose to change something in the central prefab it will be reflected in all prefabs of this type. Again, like the Archetype entity, good for consistency.

5: How do I put buildings from the game into my map?

These buildings are helpfully packed into prefabs, as the last question tells you what they are, I won't here. You can access them by going to "View - Database View - Prefabs Tab - Folder Icon - Open them all." Then you can place them from your main screen, go into the RollUpBar, then to Prefabs, and find the ones you want.

6: How do I make my objects frozen, wet or cloaked?

CryTek has very kindly supplied us with four material layers we can add onto our assets in game. You can access these by selecting your object, and navigating to "Material Layers" in the RollUpBar. The Layers are:

Frozen - Almost every model has a frozen effect that can be applied to it with no more effort than a simple click. This will make your object look frozen over, great for icy environments.

Dynamic Frozen - Not sure exactly what the difference of this to normal Frozen is exactly, apart from looks. This layer looks great on smaller objects, like weapons and such, not so good on larger ones though.

Wet - As it says, it basically makes it looks like it's being rained on. Fantastic looking rain drops, splashes, and puddles will be created in real time on your object, and they will change according to your objects orientation! For example, sides of the object facing vertically to the sky will have rain running down them, while faces parallel to the sky will have splashes and puddles! Good huh?

Cloak - This layer basically applies a cloak material to your object, like your nano suit in cloak mode. For looks only as far as I know ;)

7: I see FlowGraph nodes in tutorials that I don't have! How do I enable them?

Go into FlowGraph view, then to "View - Components" and tick all of them, you'll have them now.

8: - I'm getting an error message or a crash! What do I do?

Try going to File > Export To Engine, then saving your map. Exit the editor, restart the editor again, and load your map. If the problem persists, then report it in the Feedback and Support Forum.

9: - Why are my objects acting like they're on a grid? I can't place them accurately!

It's snapping to a grid. You can turn this off, or lower the grid size, by going to the "Snap to Grid" button, to the right of the Snap to Terrain button. Click it to turn off snapping, or use the arrow to the right of it to change the grid size.

10: - Why aren't my flow graphs saving? When I quit, they disappear when I reload my map!

The best way to fix this is to make your flow graph from the entity you want to base it around. After you select your entity, in the RollUpBar scroll down to "Flow Graph" and hit Create. The FG window will open, where you can make your graph. This will automatically save, and be there when you restart the editor.

11: - How do I make a place for the player to start from in my level?

Entity - Others- SpawnPoint.

12: - When I spawn animals, they come out as different ones! How do I get an actual chicken not a crab?

Instead of spawning them from the normal Entities tab, use the Archetype Entities tab. The animals in Entities are mixed up.

Well, thanks for reading, If you're new, or just didn't know any of this, I hope it helped you. If you still need something answering that I didn't cover, just tell me, I'll answer it, and add it to the list!

If you see any mistakes, or something obvious I should have included, please do tell me ;)

- Beac
Last edited by Beac on 26.03.2008, 12:31, edited 13 times in total.
User avatar p5ym0n
Producer
Producer

RE: So you're just starting? READ THIS THREAD FIRST! Do not

Postby p5ym0n » 07.01.2008, 21:55

Heh crazy font sizing going on :)

Apart from that, nice work. A kind mod should sticky this one :)
User avatar 93confirmed
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby 93confirmed » 07.01.2008, 21:57

Nice job but I would make the font consistent and change the colors so it's easier to read.
User avatar Beac
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby Beac » 07.01.2008, 21:57

Oh jeez. Didn't see that when I previewed it... Thanks for telling me, I'll fix it now.

EDIT: Wierd, there wasn't any actual font changes in there at all, so I just set everything to normal.

EDIT2: Except my sig... I can't change that...
Very peculiar.
Last edited by Beac on 07.01.2008, 21:59, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar p5ym0n
Producer
Producer

Postby p5ym0n » 07.01.2008, 21:59

Your sig is still in large font :)
Font size still not consistant - see the first few paragraphs are larger.
Also the blue font is a little hard to read against the grey background.
Last edited by p5ym0n on 07.01.2008, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar 93confirmed
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby 93confirmed » 07.01.2008, 22:00

That blue font it hard on the eyes....
User avatar SamBusters
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby SamBusters » 07.01.2008, 22:00

I'd add another point.

- Having any type of error whilst using the editor?

Try going to File > Export To Engine, then saving your map. Exit the editor, restart the editor again, and load your map. If the problem persists, then report it in the Feedback and Support Forum.
User avatar Beac
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby Beac » 07.01.2008, 22:01

Ok, I changed the blue to a lighter one, any better?

And thanks McGinge, I'll add that :)
User avatar SamBusters
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby SamBusters » 07.01.2008, 22:03

Oh and btw, you've still got font size issues! :) Just highlight everything and select the "normal" size. :)
User avatar Beac
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby Beac » 07.01.2008, 22:04

Everything except the sig should be normal now. I've put everything as font size 12 - normal.

There's no way to select my signature though, I think it's a little bug.
User avatar SamBusters
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby SamBusters » 07.01.2008, 22:06

Well if you look at the top of the post before the quote, the font size is slightly larger than everything else. Random!! :)
User avatar 93confirmed
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby 93confirmed » 07.01.2008, 22:08

Much better on the blue font...now just get all the font consistent and you're good to go.
User avatar Beac
Skilled Developer
Skilled Developer

Postby Beac » 07.01.2008, 22:08

Again, very wierd.. A [size][/size] tag is covering the whole post... I've broken it :D
User avatar SamBusters
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby SamBusters » 07.01.2008, 22:09

Why not just remove the tag all together, leaving just normal font? Just trying to make this thread perfect just incase it gets stickied and therefore noobproofed.
User avatar Clivey
Honourable Member
Honourable Member

Postby Clivey » 07.01.2008, 22:19

I Fixed the font size in your post, there was a badly formatted quotation that caused it. :))
Last edited by Clivey on 07.01.2008, 22:19, edited 2 times in total.