Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

CryBlend - CryEngine 3 Model Exporter for Blender

Topics about 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, and various other software packages.

User avatar HyperCardioid
Just getting started
Just getting started

Re: CryBlend - CryEngine 3 Model Exporter for Blender

Postby HyperCardioid » 21.11.2016, 13:55

I can't see the entire material name but I can see that there is maybe a problem with the naming convention. It must be:
exportnodename__01__whateveryouwant__physicalparameter

From what I see "Blade__Light" might not work, try instead:
Katana__04__BladeLight__physicalparameter
User avatar Simsissle
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Simsissle » 21.11.2016, 16:25

Okay, so I changed and tested that and there has been no changes in how the objects import into Cryengine.

I tried adding the materials through Material Editor to no success, so I also tried to add the materials through the FBX Importer. Here I had a bit more success as I was able to draw out atleast one material colour; I've been playing around with it and so far I've only been able to draw out one material at the same time. Referal picture: https://postimg.org/image/ihnjanrsl/

Does the Cryblend neglect filled areas for some reason? I've filled the gaps between the hilt on the katana (on both sides), but the fill-effect is missing when I import it into Cryengine. I've tried rotating and moving the filled area to no effect. Any tips? Referal picture: https://postimg.org/image/pfclnqfpj/
I will experiment further with another object to see if it has some empty areas aswell.

It's pretty frustrating to spend days just on figuring out how to import an object properly.
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby HyperCardioid » 21.11.2016, 17:12

I can't help you anymore without looking at your file send me (pm) the .blend if you are ok with that and I will take a look
User avatar Simsissle
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Simsissle » 21.11.2016, 17:31

Sent you a PM, thanks for the assistance. :)
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby HyperCardioid » 21.11.2016, 18:34

Ok I looked at your file and there is much errors to fix.

1 - Some faces are not visible because they are ngons. You must only use tris and quads nothing else
2 - Learn the material cryblend suffix (physDefault to use the mesh as collision, physNone for no collision, etc...)
3 - you should use a ultra light version of your mesh for the collision proxy or in many case use UDP proxy (box, sphere,etc...)
4 - Your meshes have no UV information from what I see.. you need to unwrap all
5- You are using too much materials one or two should be good enough
6 - Your Katana look very big you will need to scale it

I recommend you to merge all objects into one, then do the unwrap accross materials (one or two), set a proxy collisionn then you should be good to go
good luck be patient and take a look at the youtube tutorials with Blender and Cryengine
User avatar Simsissle
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Simsissle » 21.11.2016, 18:45

Oh thanks a lot man, I will go through that list of to-dos! I followed a tutorial, but I guess I must've missed out on some stuff haha. Thanks again, really appreacite it. I'll update when I'm done.
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby HyperCardioid » 22.11.2016, 12:04

ok, don't worry it tooks a bit of time to find the workflow but it's worth! let us know about your progress
User avatar Simsissle
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Simsissle » 22.11.2016, 17:55

I got my hands on the ngons finder addon, so I changed the ngons into tri's and quads using Ctrl + T. I'm still having problems seeing the hilt of the katana though. I can see the filled face on the bottom of the hilt, but I can't see the rest of the filled faces.

I made the materials physical and I lowered the amount to 4 materials in total; I'm unsure how to make it look good without any less, I have been looking up guides on other ways to add materials to the object, as in painting them with gimp etc with textures, but that does not give the same realistic look as the HDR map does with its reflections. I'd love to get the sword into Cryengine as it is.
I learned to UV unwrap yesterday while making another model, and so I've added seams to all of the objects. I've managed to UV-map everything except for the handle, which has holes in it etc, so atm I'm stuck there. I scaled the katana object down after converting the ngons; the camera in Blender is so sensitive at close-up so.

So, I've imported the object into Cryengine and I can see that there's a slight change to how the textures apply; the katana that I exported using CryBlend now has a couple of color patches on it, ranging from white to yellow and some spots of red "replace me" texture. That's definately an improvement, but it's nowhere close to the product I want it to look like. It all looks pretty buggy. Therefore I tried to import the katana with the FBX Importer and applied materials, which lead to just a pure white overall look. Photo: https://postimg.org/image/hnncwengv/

Here's my current RC, where I got 50k artifacts in physicalized render geometry (I don't know what this means, I've read about it in this thread but I don't get how I'm gonna fix that "error" : https://postimg.org/image/e2rhd6ixb/

Here's the UV map: https://postimg.org/image/3v8y0rwpb/

Here's an overview of the materials I have set up in Blender: https://postimg.org/image/5415320wt/

I've learned a lot the past days while working on my project, but damn there's so much more to know haha. Looking forward to when the workflow of all this is stuck in my bones hah!
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby HyperCardioid » 22.11.2016, 22:19

I can see the filled face on the bottom of the hilt, but I can't see the rest of the filled faces.

It can be your faces that are inverted ?

I made the materials physical

For now use only the suffix: physDefault on your material

I'm unsure how to make it look good without any less

Have you heard about PBR material ? This is what cryengine use (like cycles in Blender) for materials render. You can have many materials with one material slot just by making good textures set.
Look at cryengine pbr spec/gloss tuto to learn more

Anyway I unable to say more without the file... send me it again
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby HyperCardioid » 23.11.2016, 23:10

I sent you a new message if you don't find it (like me) logout and login from the website
User avatar cajunctionAI
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby cajunctionAI » 09.12.2016, 23:15

Why can't we just use FBX for all of this or are there specific features not included in fbx ?

I see there are no blend shapes which is worrisome, or is there in a post I missed ?

I wish blender was at version 2.8x, bc as it is, my 1.8mil tri mesh is on mothballs essentially as edit mode lags so hard I can't do a darn thing.

I've tried workarounds but they are all so hacky or don't work to make it not worth trying.

Mesh is far too complex to 'brake it up' so I guess I'm stuck waiting until they fix viewport, or win lottery and buy maya LT ;)) ( the former is more likely to occur I'm beginning to think)
User avatar daniel_levin01
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby daniel_levin01 » 01.01.2017, 03:06

I tried installing the updated cryblend addon. However when I tried putting the file in the addon folder and opened user preferences, nothing showed up. Same thing when I tried importing from file. Any ideas?
User avatar NanoTurtle
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby NanoTurtle » 15.01.2017, 16:15

I'm having trouble getting touch bending working with the newest cryblend, CE 5.3 and blender 2.78. AFAIK the setup was done correctly. It seems the branchx_y dummies are not being imported when I use debug drawing in CE. I added the __NoCollide proxy and empties to the export node group and parented them to the plant mesh.
Here's the Blend file : https://we.tl/FyEM92xULk
#CryMod IRC
Remember kids : A Flowgraph a day keeps Ruan away !
User avatar laharl9999
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby laharl9999 » 13.07.2017, 08:23

I used vertex paint in Blender to paint some vertex in black because there is no alpha vertex option in blender.However when exporting model to Cryengine, and checking the use vertex color box, it doesn't seem to make the texture transparent on black vertex zone.