Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

SoftCry - Softimage CE3 exporter

Topics about 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, and various other software packages.

User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

SoftCry - Softimage CE3 exporter

Postby Ande » 02.12.2012, 19:16

Note: This is discontinued with the release of CE-as-a-service (3.6+).

Exporter for Softimage (ModTool 7.5 and up). Needs python and Crosswalk to work (already pre-installed from 2011 upwards).
Most features are functional.

Webpage:
http://schlechtwetterfront.github.com/softcry/

Download:
https://github.com/Schlechtwetterfront/softcry

Installation instruction (semi-outdated):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIuwxows ... e=youtu.be

How to export hard-body animations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rt3B8h5 ... hr169xLenA
Last edited by Ande on 28.05.2014, 18:07, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Re: Access .dae files?

Postby cwright » 03.12.2012, 13:41

Hi Ande,
This is something I'm very interested in. I use Softimage and I've been unable to get the official exporter to work on Windows 7 (Crytek no longer support Softimage).
Softimage can export dae files, so I've been trying to convert to cgf directly using rc.exe.
I've had some limited success. dae files generated by Softimage don't seem to work. If I use the official exporter it generates a dae file but fails to convert it to cgf.
Using the latest official exporter from the free SDK 3.40, I can use rc.exe to convert the dae to cgf. I just need to drag the dae.zip file onto rc.exe and it generates a cgf file that works in Sandbox 3.
I've attached a sample dae file, named temp.dae.zip
If you drag temp.dae.zip onto the 3.43 rc.exe, it should generate sphere.cgf which will work in Sandbox 3 (but not in Sandbox 2, unfortunately).
Note: after exporting the file a new file named temp.dae.zip.done is created. To re-export the file you will need to delete this file.
I suspect that rc.exe needs a specific version of the dae format, as dae files exported from Softimage don't seem to work. I'll probably spend some time looking at the formats to see exacvtly what rc.exe needs. By the way, if anyone from Crytek could help with info on the required dae format, that would be very helpful.
With a bit of luck, by looking at the formats of dae files that work it will be possible to re-construct the correct format. It might then be possible to create a working dae exporter. As the FBX exporter is essentially useless for serious asset creation, this might be a useful alternative.
If you take a look at the format, good luck! A working dae exporter could be very useful for the community.
Regards,
Chris
Attachments
temp.dae.zip
(28.18 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Ande » 03.12.2012, 15:30

I already got a rough export for static meshes straight from Softimage (2012) working.
My steps are something like this:
1. Export .dae with Crosswalk COLLADA exporter.
2. Get all materials in the current Material Library with Physicalization attribute.
3. Run my python script on the Softimage/Crosswalk .dae.
3.1. Change naming conventions (Vtx to vertices, XSI-Normals to normals, Pos to positions etc).
3.2. Add a cryexportnode_<filename> and put all other nodes under that one.
3.3. Replace materials with materials using CE naming conventions and physics option I retrieved earlier.
3.4. Add some elements like vcount to some parts of the file.
4. Save the modified file.
5. Run rc.exe with the modified file.

Works:
- Physicalization
- Multiple materials per mesh
- Multiple models/objects per .dae/.cgf

Most of the naming conventions I got from the FBX converter.
CryBlend has more functionality than the FBX converter so that will have to do for now. However I don't exactly know what CryBlend can do and if it's the 'correct' way (and the dev's coding style hurts my eyes).
That's why I'd like to see the COLLADA files the official exporters create.

Current progress:
https://github.com/Schlechtwetterfront/softcry
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 04.12.2012, 12:37

Hi Ande,
So you're working on an exporter for Softimage? That's fantastic! Many thanks.
I have one or two questions:
Do you know if it will work on Mod Tool 7.5?
I've installed the files in addons\SoftCry
Can I use these to export or are they for information only?
You describe a series of manual operations. Do your Python scripts do these steps now or will later versions do this?
When it's fully developed, will your exporter be completely automatic, without the need to do any manual steps as you described?
Can it be used for CE2 (Crysis 1)? I still do a lot of work in CE2. I can of course use the CE2 resource compiler.
Hopefully the exporter would be automatic: a Softimage VB script copuld export to dae and then call your Python scripts to convert the dae file and finally call rc.exe to generate the cgf file. Is this possible?
I'll be more than happy to do any testing, assuming it does work with Mod Tool 7.5.
Many thanks!
Chris
User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Ande » 04.12.2012, 16:49

The steps I outlined are the rough steps the exporter (python file) takes to export something.

Right now it should work with ModTool 7.5, you will have to install python + pywin32 though.
Check that link (another exporter I wrote): https://sites.google.com/site/andescp/z ... Guidelines
The Python installation guidelines are important for you.

The files in the github repository are the exporter files. As it's pure python the source is the same as the code which gets executed. Just use the download ZIP option and Extract to /softcry in the User addons folder of your XSI/softimage installation.

No manual steps should be required later.

Right now the RC path is hardcoded to E:\\AndeSoft\\CE_343\\bin32\\rc so most likely it won't work for you. Later it will be possible to set that manually, either through the user preferences or somewhere else. You could test it with the CE2 rc when it's possible to set the RC path.

I will write everything in python, VB and javascript are crappy. ;)

I'll let you know when I've made any progress. As I'm working on a mod at the same time (I didn't want to use Max or Maya [or Blender] for it, that's why I started this) progress might be slow some times.
User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Ande » 04.12.2012, 23:50

I think it should be possible for anyone with python installed to export at least basic geometries right now. The RC path is now exposed so you can change it. It doesn't get saved though.
Hard body animations seem to work, the animation clips are hardcoded though so it's of no use for anyone right now.
I got most of the naming conventions from the CryBlend plug-in.
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 05.12.2012, 12:17

Hi Ande,
I've installed the latest version, many thanks.
I couldn't find any instructions on how to use the exporter. Could you describe the basic procedure?
For example, where do I place the dae file and which script should I execute?
When I execute andecryexporter.py I just see a DOS window pop up for a fraction of a second.
I don't use Python but I have version 2.6 installed. Is that okay?
I'm anxious to try this out. Many thanks!
Chris
User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Ande » 05.12.2012, 16:34

User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Re: Softimage CE3 exporter discussion

Postby cwright » 06.12.2012, 13:59

Hi Ande,
That's an excellent video!
I'll work through it and report back....
Many thanks,
Chris
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 06.12.2012, 15:19

Hi Ande,
I think I've installed everything correctly, but it's not working yet. This is what I did:
1. Installed latest version of exporter.
2. Installed Crosswalk 2013
3. Installed pywin from your youtube link, I have Python 2.6.6 already installed.
4.Ran Cryify Materials, material has physics.
5. Added cube, applied cube mapping and default material.
The problem is that absolutely nothing happens when I click Export.
The resource compiler doesn't generate a log file, so it probably wasn't called.
I notice that the Crosswalk window shows Crosswalk 5.1 although I have Crosswalk 2013 installed.
The interfaces are shown in the attached screenshot.
Your exporter is looking great. Hopefully this problem will be easily solved.
Just one quick question: how do you select which meshes will be exported. Does it export the selected meshes?
Many thanks,
Chris
Attachments
exporter.jpg
User avatar Plastix
Producer
Producer

Postby Plastix » 06.12.2012, 15:36

cwright wrote:(...)

Actually there are ~5 exporters available for Softimage: Original, updated, another version of updated from Crysis Wars (night be the same as «another version of updated)» and broken (from CryEngine 3 SDK).
User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Ande » 06.12.2012, 17:43

I just tested with the Mod Tool (7.5) with Crosswalk 3.3. Everything seems to work. The .dae gets converted into a .cgf, too.
That's what it looks like in my case:
You don't have to do anything with the Crosswalk exporter BTW. Just make sure that you have your object selected and then press export in the SoftCryExport window.
Right now I don't have any logging included to see if there maybe was some sort of problem with the export which didn't raise an exception.

Double check your RC path and maybe try to find the .dae file which should be created.

That message you showed in the script editor has nothing to do with my plug in. The only output you should get when pressing the Export button should be something similar to what you see in my script window.

@Plastix: Yes, but AFAIK none of them works with the FreeSDK.
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 06.12.2012, 21:36

Hi Ande,
That's weird. Everything seems to be set up correctly and the paths are right.
I used Process Monitor to try to detect any disk activity triggered by the button. I searched for things like '.dae' but found nothing at all.
The Export button goes white when I click it, so it is seeing mouse clicks.
I would love to get it working!
Does the code suggest what might cause this? Could it be some other file is required?
I'm not familiar with Python, but is it possible for me to add any diagnostics code? Can I get it to print a message if a part of the code is executed? I can open the Python DOS window and PythonWin also works.
I've got my fingers crossed!
Many thanks,
Chris
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 06.12.2012, 22:00

Hi Ande,
Just a shot in the dark....
I found these two lines in softcry.py:
Code: Select all
pS.AddParameter3('path', const.siString, 'E:\\AndeSoft\\Projects\\CE\\File\\softtest.dae')
    pS.AddParameter3('rcpath', const.siString, 'E:\\AndeSoft\\CE_343\\bin32\\rc\\')

I commented them out and replaced with
Code: Select all
pS.AddParameter3('path', const.siString, 'C:\\Programs\\CE3_343\\Game\\Objects\\sphere.dae')
    pS.AddParameter3('rcpath', const.siString, 'C:\\Programs\\CE3_343\\Bin32\rc\\')

but it made no difference.
Maybe it's not a problem, but those hard-coded paths don't look right!
Regards,
Chris
User avatar Ande
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Ande » 06.12.2012, 22:20

Hey, these are just the default paths when you launch the Exporter window. They will be overwritten when you change the path in the UI. It's awesome that you took that shot and tried to fix it for yourselves tho. I like that attitude :D
I updated the code with logging. Now after export you should be able to find an 'export.log' in <USER>\<SOFTiMAGE>\Addons\SoftCry which should look something like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60895827/export.log

Please try again and post that log afterwards.