Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Community Game Project?

Looking for a developer to join your team, or want a place to advertise your skills? Look no further!

User avatar two_larsens
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Community Game Project?

Postby two_larsens » 27.08.2016, 15:17

So, the other day, I was thinking of how many people are looking for other people, trying to get some sort of project off the ground, and from that I thought: how about a community game project? There are many talented people on here - of all professions, so there should be a large pool to recruit from. The game could be something small, but it should probably be something that is grander - something representative of the community talent.

What immediately pops in my mind is a certain amount of people - knowledgeable people, and people learning, going together to create a game as representative of the forum and for it to get Greenlit, and go the whole way. It could be anything - a platformer, a shoot-em-up, a fighting game, horror game - anything.
For instance: it could be put to a vote - different categories. There would then be a few 'deciding minds' who would be in charge, and so forth.

If you think about it: there is already every possible category represented on here - 3D artists - high and low poly, lighting people, animators, musicians, concept artists, UI artists, and it could in theory be very powerful - and very interesting. It could be quite a group.

I realize there would be logistical problems, but really not more than any other game project. The way I picture it would be: one, or two in charge who knows what they're doing, and then a suitably-sized team of artists, programmers, effects people, musicians, and the like; it should be a bit of a tour de force - because why not?

There's a lot that could be going on with it. It would create a buzz, for the people involved, and the website, and there would through it all be a very good base to get the game going, through its followers, and people interested; in short: the people (community) would get invested in getting this off the ground.

Naturally I haven't thought through every aspect of this idea. I know a hundred roadblocks could be erected as to why not. But, as an idea, I think it could be something, so I thought of airing it.

Henrik

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/two_larsens
User avatar specta
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Re: Community Game Project?

Postby specta » 29.08.2016, 10:10

Its a good idea if you can heard the cats in one direction. Could use the market place to showcase it and have it available for download there.
User avatar Elissonandrade
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Elissonandrade » 30.08.2016, 04:15

I think, for this to work, it need to be a project based in modularity, where every work made by someone is independent and as much non-correlated from others as possible. The reality is that people with most experience are probably the one alreadly busy in some big projects. One kind of project that could work is a puzzle based game, where level designer can treat each puzle as their own, artist can try new interpretations for how to approach the modeling of the object, and implement after the basic idea of the puzzle is implemented, add new element will be easy enough for programmers. As i don't have any experience in game development and could use contac of some artists, count me in, in the programming/level design side.
User avatar Cal Le Breton
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Cal Le Breton » 30.08.2016, 09:00

Great idea indeed. I would freely offer my modest 3D modeling skills, especially if such project(s) might involve medieval-ish/fantasy architecture (my favorite, just FYI).
User avatar joekickass23
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby joekickass23 » 30.08.2016, 12:21

I like this idea! if this takes off I'll happily get involved and make some levels and flow graphs! Especially if it's something like Elissonandrade modular puzzle game, that would be awesome!
User avatar two_larsens
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby two_larsens » 31.08.2016, 00:24

Yep. It could start with a simple game-style vote - a platformer, puzzle game, a shoother, a MOBA of sorts - what ever, really. It doesn't have to be grand in scope, but should obviously be something that in its own right is impressive - something the community as a whole could get behind - something they can do and use, and would want to play.

A lot of the 'bigger guns/people' are doing something already, but so are we all, to be honest. What I originally had in mind would be a group that when it comes down to it, knows what they're doing - just like any other project. It would be a mix of everything, and also people learning. I think it would be a win/win for everyone involved - including Crytek.

So, first a vote from people interested (meaning regardless of if they will be working on it or not). This is to get people involved. What would be a cool thing for Crytek's peeps to realize and see done? Then people can join, and a demo can be made. After the demo, the next step should would be taken till completion, but one thing at a time.
User avatar joekickass23
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby joekickass23 » 31.08.2016, 07:23

I'll vote for a puzzle game. it allows people to be creative with their levels. also each level wouldn't have to consume heaps of time. meaning even the busier people who want to help out can do so without feeling like they need to commit for months.
User avatar TheEmber
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby TheEmber » 31.08.2016, 12:09

I like this idea. Maybe we could actually turn our project into that, but I wouldn't know where to start with that. Send me an e-mail at the address in my signature and we could discuss it further in private.
User avatar joekickass23
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby joekickass23 » 03.09.2016, 15:14

I wonder how we can get more attention for this. maybe we should set up a discord or something for people to join. Don't know how we can spread the word though. spamming it all over the forums seems like a bad idea...
User avatar two_larsens
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby two_larsens » 03.09.2016, 23:47

TheEmber, I think a lot of discussion should take place, but it should probably (in the spirit of the thread) be here for people to take part in. But, again, by all means, if you have an idea, I am all ears. As for getting more attention, then beats me. I imagine it will have to bounce around in peoples heads for a while, but perhaps not. It's always hard to say.
User avatar TheEmber
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby TheEmber » 05.09.2016, 12:04

two_larsens wrote:TheEmber, I think a lot of discussion should take place, but it should probably (in the spirit of the thread) be here for people to take part in. But, again, by all means, if you have an idea, I am all ears. As for getting more attention, then beats me. I imagine it will have to bounce around in peoples heads for a while, but perhaps not. It's always hard to say.

You're right. My idea would be the project we are already working on: http://nexus-creative-entertainment.com ... t-project/ I was intending to publish most assets we make on the marketplace anyway and since we are already pretty open, I can't see it hurting to open it up even more.
User avatar two_larsens
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby two_larsens » 07.09.2016, 02:41

Hi Ember,

As far as I'm concerned, it is a good suggestion for a project. If other people have other ideas, by all means, chime in; or if they like that suggestion.