Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Proper Recruitment Post Layout

Looking for a developer to join your team, or want a place to advertise your skills? Look no further!

User avatar Arixsus
Just getting started
Just getting started

Proper Recruitment Post Layout

Postby Arixsus » 11.04.2012, 23:47

I am making this post to give those out there the chance to make a nice looking informational and what I believe to be proper type recruiting post. I will work on this over time, and will accept any and all types of feedback and suggestions.

^This should be an image created to show off your title^

About Us: this should be everything about you and your team. Past projects, college roomates working on something, but what ever it is don't lie about it. If you and your next neighbor are making a game, say it. It helps us understand who you are and how you came to doing it..

About the Project:This should be an overview of your game. Tell us about the overall design of the game, if its similar to another game just say its similar. But most people will not want to work on a project because you have had the great idea of remaking [Insert name here] because you want to make some changes to it.
Original ideas greatly outweigh those ideas that have been done before in the way of appeal to an audience. Also give us a rundown on the story, but try not to give enough away for someone to steal your ideas.

Current Project Progress:This is where you post all the progress work you have made on the project. People do not like seeing a wall of text about a great game design you have and are looking for people to help make it for you. I'm sorry but NEWSFLASH; the world does not work this way.
Take initiative and work on it as much as you can. There are plenty of tutorials out there to at least get some work done. It doesn't have to look nice, but people want to see that you are willing to contribute to it. Images would be really great for this section

Current Position(s): Needed This is where you make your actual list of skills needed. Make it neat and professional. Do not make a full list of everything you need, its almost very unattractive as a work post.
Most projects need 2D artists first, so that they can get the idea down on paper for what everything should look like. Then once you have a solid foundation it is then fine to look for a programmer or two, along with a modeler/texture artist. By this point you should have a map prepared for testing so that your programmer and modeler know what they are working with. Basically you want to "Hire" people when you need to, not all at one time.
This prevents your project from spiraling out of control because you have to many people and not enough constant work.

The Showcase:This is where you will post other things related to your project. Such as custom scores, concepts, videos, trailers and what ever else you have.

Contact information: This should look professional and for example

Email: FLastname@******studios.com/org/net - Recommended Professional like

Email: FLastname@gmail.com - If you cant afford webhosting, then make a free email account. Try to stay away from Pokemon2000@hotmail/gmail/yahoo.com

ModDB/IndieDB:
Facebook:
Twitter:
Steam Group:

Keep it organized and looking nice, but post every place your team/game can be found. People like seeing that you are well managed and you are not wing'n it.
Aim:
Facebook:
LinkedIN:
MSN:
Steam Name:

And last but not least check your spelling, and word usage. I know mine is lacking proper punctuation and what not, but I just wrote this all off the top of my head in a hurry. Anyways I hope this helps and feel free to suggest more stuff and give me feedback.
User avatar Sleepey
Just getting started
Just getting started

Re: Proper Recruitment Post Layout

Postby Sleepey » 12.04.2012, 05:59

Very nice lay out, I'll make sure to use this in the future!
"Those who made a peaceful revolution impossible, make a violent revolution inevitable." ~John F. Kennedy

"Child of my enemy, why have you come to me? I offer no forgiveness for a Father's sins."
~Gravemind
User avatar punisher454
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby punisher454 » 12.04.2012, 06:24

I like it too, well done.
User avatar Arixsus
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Arixsus » 12.04.2012, 06:58

Thanks. It's just something I brought over with me from UDK :happy: .
User avatar Sleepey
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Sleepey » 12.04.2012, 15:13

Ah nice! :p Haha, it seems like a lot of people here came from UDK... Anyway thanks for the layout!
"Those who made a peaceful revolution impossible, make a violent revolution inevitable." ~John F. Kennedy

"Child of my enemy, why have you come to me? I offer no forgiveness for a Father's sins."
~Gravemind
User avatar BlackholeArts
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby BlackholeArts » 12.04.2012, 16:47

This should really be stickied. There has been a surge of uninformative recruitment posts, this will help out. Thanks mate!
User avatar VokusX
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby VokusX » 12.04.2012, 21:39

Awesome, thanks. This will really help me in the future!
[1:49:53 PM] fedayk1ntr: Join the Dark side
[1:50:04 PM} themodman101: You may have cookies, but we have all the milk.
User avatar Ruan
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby Ruan » 12.04.2012, 22:13

Not bad for a first post ;) Stickied.
Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Ex-Crytek, now with Deep Silver Dambuster Studios
User avatar Arixsus
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Arixsus » 12.04.2012, 22:27

Cry-Ruan wrote:Not bad for a first post ;) Stickied.

Thanks! Now hopefully we will see some more quality recruitment posts and not complete walls of text :cheesy:
User avatar AltairzShadow51
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby AltairzShadow51 » 12.04.2012, 22:54

Im going to use this.
Thanks
Contact Shadow-Tech:
Personal email: AltairzShadow@hotmail.co.uk
Shadow-Tech Email: Shadow_Tech_Studios@hotmail.co.uk
Steam: AltairzShadow510
User avatar ajf412
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby ajf412 » 14.04.2012, 06:12

Makes me feel good, since that's pretty much how ours looks. =)
viewtopic.php?f=316&t=86007
Yep yep.
User avatar Cyguard1
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Cyguard1 » 16.04.2012, 22:05

Where as this is helpful and I'm sure that others will benefit from it, I do hope that there arent follow up slams of every recruitment post that appears on these forums like those from fragfest and ironbelly on the udk forums. That was one of the reasons our team left udk in the first place. The elite community that felt the need to belittle the recruitment forums with their own "expert" opinion.

Thanks! Now hopefully we will see some more quality recruitment posts and not complete walls of text

To late... :sad:
User avatar Arixsus
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Arixsus » 16.04.2012, 23:21

Cyguard1 wrote:Where as this is helpful and I'm sure that others will benefit from it, I do hope that there arent follow up slams of every recruitment post that appears on these forums like those from fragfest and ironbelly on the udk forums. That was one of the reasons our team left udk in the first place. The elite community that felt the need to belittle the recruitment forums with their own "expert" opinion.

Thanks! Now hopefully we will see some more quality recruitment posts and not complete walls of text

To late... :sad:

I agree with you, and I am in noway trying to turn these forums into a giant elitist fest. I just find most unprofessional and unprepared game designer/developer recruitment posts atrocious, and hope to give newcomers and past developers something that is not so much a guideline but a sense of what a recruitment post should look like.
User avatar Cyguard1
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Cyguard1 » 16.04.2012, 23:42

Sorry if I seem less than friendly, wasn't my intent. I can see the need for helping others, but am also wary about the things I mentioned. Your recruitment topic is a good model, and hopefully others will take heed of its intent.
User avatar Ilsamir Lord
Producer
Producer

Postby Ilsamir Lord » 30.05.2012, 02:25

It is a nice template, but I'm not sure it should be called a "proper" layout - that kind of gives the impression that no other layout works.

I'd say that a recruitment post, or any post, really, should just try to convey the relevant information as clearly as possible. The format is defined by the kind of information and the aesthetic choices of the author.

This is definitely good as a set of guidelines, though.
Last edited by Ilsamir Lord on 30.05.2012, 02:47, edited 2 times in total.