Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Strategy game in CrySDK

Gameplay Setup, SP/MP Logic, Audio Setup, AI Logic, Entity Usage, etc.

User avatar janpec
Just getting started
Just getting started

Strategy game in CrySDK

Postby janpec » 29.09.2011, 13:43

Hello i am having doubts about starting project on CrySDK,which would be strategy game silimar to titles like The Settlers, Age of Empires, Caesar 3 and similar. I completly understand the part that has to be done on art side, but since i am not programmer i am curious if that would be too much of issue for CrySKD? Besides implementing camera to strategy game perspective, what kind of work are we talking from programmers perspective? I am pretty much sure that AI has to be written from scratch the same as game utilities and actions. I am just really caught between Unity and CrySDK, and i dont want to make misstake.

Thanks for any input in advance.
User avatar the_grim
Superstar Dolphin
Superstar Dolphin

Re: Strategy game in CrySDK

Postby the_grim » 29.09.2011, 13:56

From a game design perspective, you definitely will need coding to achieve what you're describing. The whole logic of an RTS game, with its units, resources and buildings, would need to be implemented no matter which engine you choose. Cryengine of course can cope with an RTS, but as the example game provided is an FPS you'd need some coding knowledge to succeed in turning it into something else.
User avatar Benji385
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby Benji385 » 04.10.2011, 06:38

janpec wrote:Hello i am having doubts about starting project on CrySDK,which would be strategy game silimar to titles like The Settlers, Age of Empires, Caesar 3 and similar. I completly understand the part that has to be done on art side, but since i am not programmer i am curious if that would be too much of issue for CrySKD? Besides implementing camera to strategy game perspective, what kind of work are we talking from programmers perspective? I am pretty much sure that AI has to be written from scratch the same as game utilities and actions. I am just really caught between Unity and CrySDK, and i dont want to make misstake.

Thanks for any input in advance.

It is fully possible - Get some adds out on forums such as moddb ,IndieDB, TIGsource, etc. asking for a C++ programmer go into detail about the position, What it offers, etc.

Unity is a good engine IF you do not want you players to be able to mod it. Which could limit your overall fan base. CDK on the other hand you could release your editor that you made with the help of your fellow co worker(s) with a non commercial license attached :)

Or even just release it with full source and the editor. Just some thoughts
User avatar janpec
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby janpec » 04.10.2011, 13:03

I have been already putting out word, so far i havent got any response for programmer position.
User avatar Benji385
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby Benji385 » 04.10.2011, 14:09

Hey Janpec do you have a design document typed up and ready?

If so I would like to go over it as I might want to help in terms of 3D art and a mock up GUI as soon as the next update rolls around.
User avatar janpec
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby janpec » 04.10.2011, 21:04

Hey Beji385 thank you for your interest we would need additional 3d artist or GUI designer,but i would need to see some of your work examples if that is possible. I am just looking for dedicated and talented members only.

Here are some work examples for game so far: viewtopic.php?f=316&t=76231

GDD is not yet ready but it will be soon.

If you are interested in position you can contact me over PM.
User avatar Benji385
Regular Dev
Regular Dev

Postby Benji385 » 05.10.2011, 00:21

janpec wrote:Hey Beji385 thank you for your interest we would need additional 3d artist or GUI designer,but i would need to see some of your work examples if that is possible. I am just looking for dedicated and talented members only.

Here are some work examples for game so far: viewtopic.php?f=316&t=76231

GDD is not yet ready but it will be soon.

If you are interested in position you can contact me over PM.

Ok, I will PM you soon. Just need to get some stuff together.

BTW awesome work.