Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Export/Import animated character

Character and Object Animation Setup. Trackview Cutscenes Setup.

User avatar Specnaz3d
Just getting started
Just getting started

Export/Import animated character

Postby Specnaz3d » 14.04.2016, 16:14

Hello.

I had read cryengine documentation, watched some tutorials but still don't understand how to export and import animated character to cryengine. I am working with 3dsmax.

How I understand:
Animated character should be exported in CGA format and also I should export my Bones with animation in CAF format. In character tool I opened my CGA file, but don't know how to load CAF animation file on the loaded character.

Skeleton alias lights red with text: skeleton alias is not specified for the animation.

Can somebody explain me how to export/import animated character?
User avatar sparki
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: Export/Import animated character

Postby sparki » 15.04.2016, 02:57

Honestly, you sound kinda lost. All good though, because CE isn't the friendliest in this area yet. If you are starting a totally new character, then use the CAT system, especially if you aren't an animator like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uWTu5EboB8
I managed to get some decent dinos in:

https://vimeo.com/161755612
User avatar Specnaz3d
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Specnaz3d » 15.04.2016, 11:32

Hey, Sparki.

Thanks for your reply. Problem is that I need to export not only CAT based rigs, but also Biped and unique bones structures.
I watched your CAT tutorial link, and after that I have 3 files: Ape_Skel.chr Ape_skin.skin and Ape_Walk.i_caf. How should I load these files?:)
User avatar sparki
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby sparki » 15.04.2016, 11:53

You can use any bones, CAT doesn't follow the SDK structure either. Certain bones need to be named for LookIK and Ground/feet alignment/IK.
CAT will work 10x better for bipeds then the biped system. Unless you're using Mocap or are a pro then whatever. Walk cycles will be hard in Bip otherwise.

Anyways, for the connecting:
- Create new character in charactertool using the ape_skel.chr.
- add the .chr to the list of skeletons, bottom right.
- create an attachment to this character called what 'Skin" or whatever.
- load the skin file as the attachment.
This next part is too much to write, and I never got around to finishing the tutorial.but:
- create .chrparams file, use the included ones for reference.
- setup the animations in the folder using the SDK as a reference.
- setup the mannequin folders (preview and adb) in a similar manner to the SDK ones.
Here's all the files you will need to have to get it working, depending on if is custom AI, you need to edit gamefactory.cpp also.
Also deerstagcontrollerdefs.xml is now called actions by Crytek, so deerstagactions.xml for example doesn't matter what you want to call them, just reference them right.
Attachments
DeerExample.rar
(37.73 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
User avatar Specnaz3d
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Specnaz3d » 25.04.2016, 08:50

Hello, Sparki.

First step and first misunderstanding.
In charactertool I can't use ape_sket.chr to create character. Only cga format is supported.