Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Introducing our new Community Manager Cry-Nic

News regarding CRYENGINE projects and announcements.

User avatar Cry-Marcel
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Introducing our new Community Manager Cry-Nic

Postby Cry-Marcel » 12.07.2016, 16:04

Today I am happy to welcome our new Community Manager, Yamina "Cry-Nic" Ketteler, who joined our team yesterday! With great gaming companies like BioWare and Zenimax and many years of Social Media experience (and even more of being a gamer and artists), she should fit right in :)

As is tradition, we asked Yamina to answer a few questions for you all to get to know her.

Why did you want to work in the games industry and how did you get started?

I was always in love with games. My first professional approach was as a game journalist; working as an intern at a TV station that focused on game reviews and culture. That was before YouTube and Twitch were around, so yes, I did that before it was cool. ;) Although I was offered a perm position, I eventually decided to finish my studies after the internship. I studied Literary-, Culture and Media Studies which gave me an opportunity to deepen my knowledge of popular culture and -history and approach all kinds of media (including games) on an academic level. This did a lot for my personal development and understanding of media and culture in general as well as for my English which is my second language. That enabled me to take an opportunity to work for BioWare in Ireland after my BA studies and that's how my industry adventure started. I worked for BioWare, EA, Zenimax Online & Bethesda in the past on great titles like Star Wars: The Old Republic, Battlefield, The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited and The Elder Scrolls: Legends.

Why Crytek?

I admire Crytek's success story as a company and am fond of many titles developed and published by Crytek. One of my all-time favorites is Ryse: Son of Rome. Beyond me generally admiring Crytek's portfolio, being a developer in Germany isn't easy considering the cultural history and background of our country, so I admire Crytek's achievements as a business even more. German culture lives from a hands-on attitude, but we are also likely to call everything 'fun' equals ‘unnecessary’. The entertainment industry is still shunned in the general cultural perception and receives little support from the government in comparison to other places. It took me three years in the industry to convince my parents that I have a 'real job' and that they do not need to worry about me, so that's that. To be a part of Crytek's success story satisfies both, my desire for a challenging task and a rewarding position.

What are you working on at the moment? What's first on your to-do list?

First thing on my list is our Community Gathering on the 29th of July. And then of course I am in charge of engaging with you, our great community, on social media, the forum and everywhere you go, so at the moment, I am creating a strategy for doing that most successfully. I am happy to receive your feedback and ideas on how to support you guys even better!

What music do you listen to at work?

I love games soundtracks and electronic music, especially at work because it's not very distracting. But I'm really all over the place when it comes to music. Right now, I am listening to VAST, which is one of my favorite bands and next up is Puscifer.

What inspires you in your work or in life?

I am a very creative mind and love to see things come together. Building and organizing things, bringing people together and helping them achieve something great is my inspiration.

What types of games do you like, and what is your favorite game of all time?

I play a huge variety of games; puzzle platformers, role playing games, MOBAs, FPS... I think as long as a game is fun, I like it. Isn't that what games are about? My most favorite game of all times is a hard pick, but if I have to name only one, I'd go for Vagrant Story. I never beat this game although starting a fresh play through 3 times in my life. So how do I know it's even my favorite game? It's very unique and fun in its gameplay, was fantastic in its visuals back in the day and still impresses me story-telling wise. Also, this game has been a very worthy opponent I still have a bone to pick with. I love challenges, I respect a capable challenger. I'm still intrigued with this game 16 years after my first encounter with it, so it is indeed special to me.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

Playing games, drawing, 3D modeling, writing, travelling. I'm also a history enthusiast and travel to a lot of re-enactment shows, mostly with Roman Military focus. I share this passion with my Dad and my Significant Other which makes for great family adventures. But sadly, I have no time to participate in such endeavors as part of an acting group. If I ever get sucked into this, you will NEVER hear from me again. Like, EVER.

Do you have any tips for people wanting to get started in the industry?

I often thought to myself that, if I had seen the opportunity to work in the Games Industry right from the start, I'd have gotten to where I am, sooner. Nowadays, it's easier because there are great opportunities at Universities to study anything from Community Management to Game Design, you can earn billions as a Let's Player or become a games journalist by blogging on the internet. Those kinds of opportunities weren't around when I was 16 - or let's say, most of them weren't as accessible.
But honestly, if this is what you want to do, it's never too late to get started and you don't need to go the academic route, either. There are tons of ways to get into the industry. Just be persistent about acquiring the right skills and build up experience, then keep applying.
The most important part is to start seeing games as a business and a cultural phenomenon rather than just consuming them. Stay true, stay a fan, but also see the business behind it. Being able to take a step back and evaluate games as a product is as important as being passionate about them as a consumer.

Welcome Yamina!
Marcel H, Brand Manager @ Crytek

Follow us on Facebook: /CRYENGINEOfficial
Follow us on Twitter: @CRYENGINE
Talk to me on Twitter: @Com_Raven
User avatar Cry-Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Introducing our new Community Manager Cry-Nic

Postby Cry-Nic » 12.07.2016, 17:42

Happy to be here & looking forward to support you guys!
Yamina 'Nic' K, Community Manager @CRYENGINE

Get to know me
User avatar Synce
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Synce » 12.07.2016, 18:07

Welcome Yamina!
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 12.07.2016, 22:31

Welcome Nic, does this mean Cry_Angela's been sacked?
“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.”

– John Wooden

User avatar Lavizh
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Postby Lavizh » 12.07.2016, 22:31

Angela has been promoted, she will handle PR and other things from now on when she comes back from her vacation.

Image  Image
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 12.07.2016, 22:36

Lavizh wrote:Angela has been promoted, she will handle PR and other things from now on when she comes back from her vacation.

Ok, vacation already!. Actually great more female staff perhaps break the ice diffuse the testosterone flying around forum.

-Regards

– John Wooden

User avatar Adsolution

Postby Adsolution » 12.07.2016, 22:55

Welcome to the staff!

calmdev wrote:Actually great more female staff perhaps break the ice diffuse the testosterone flying around forum.
From my own experience, gender is pretty much impossible to gauge on forums through posts alone, especially when the forum is geared to a specific purpose. :)
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 13.07.2016, 00:45

Adsolution wrote:gender is pretty much impossible to gauge on forums through posts alone, especially when the forum is geared to a specific purpose. :)

Agreed, I meant more of the male majority of gamers, Game Dev's. And also the game industry and games in general. Thease days it's different from past where majority m/f ratio one greater numbers than the other.

– John Wooden

User avatar Cry-Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cry-Nic » 13.07.2016, 09:47

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! I am happy to be here. And there's a discussion afoot, as I see! :D

I actually agree with Adsolution, here:

Adsolution wrote:Welcome to the staff!

calmdev wrote:Actually great more female staff perhaps break the ice diffuse the testosterone flying around forum.
From my own experience, gender is pretty much impossible to gauge on forums through posts alone, especially when the forum is geared to a specific purpose. :)

I personally don't like 'gender wars'. Not that anybody is starting a war here. ;) But I've seen them a lot.
I feel like evaluating people by their words and actions without the prejudices induced by gender is the best way to not unfairly judge anybody. Especially in this community, where everything is about the great work you CryEngineers do, I feel like gender isn't an important thing. You all have common ground in your passion for creating and achieving your projects through CRYENGINE and that makes you equals in many regards, united by your creations and craft.

You can call me Nic, by the way! :) It has been my nickname for two decades now and one reason I like it so much is in fact that it doesn't come with a strong gender connotation. But just for the record, I am not offended if you call me Yamina or bring up gender topics. I just personally feel that gender as a defining factor is way overrated.

Get to know me
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 14.07.2016, 00:57

Well said nic. :] When I brought up this whole thing a couple of posts back, perhaps because UK my country just got new female PM which is cool and also just clarify from me I got no issues what so ever and equality all that you could also look at 'it' as an evolutionary, advance in society, workplace, gameplace eg.

Just break Ice abit after that hope no miss understanding in whole can of worms taht could be presumed just by mer mentioning the fact.. Im stop typing digging a large hole [Activate normality cloak] :happy:

-Regards

– John Wooden

User avatar Cry-Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cry-Nic » 14.07.2016, 12:44

calmdev wrote:Just break Ice abit after that hope no miss understanding in whole can of worms taht could be presumed just by mer mentioning the fact.. Im stop typing digging a large hole [Activate normality cloak] :happy:

-Regards

You're fine, @Calmdev! I appreciate your warm welcome. No can of worms here, as far as I am concerned. :cheesy:

Get to know me
User avatar SinPie
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby SinPie » 21.07.2016, 20:43

Welcome Yamina

And good to hear Angela is still around also, I'm sure new faces on the twitch stream when that's back on again sometime for some updates.