Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Alternative way for roads..

Just getting started? Looking for some information on CE and/or CE projects? Ask here!

User avatar DGrimProductions
Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Alternative way for roads..

Postby DGrimProductions » 09.08.2015, 00:34

Heey all...
I have been building a level full of roads (Road objects) and while i was texturing the level, i noticed that the roads dont share any surface type qualities other then the ones they inherit of the terrain below.

Is there another way to create roads that follow the terrain smootly? Or as the roadobjects do, align a heightmap partually to the road itself?

If not, is it perhapse an idea to think of a tool that doesnt only alow for the texture to show, but also create real geometry...? (For instance a designer object)

Using brushes wont alow enough manipulation / controll without swirching and adjusting maybe millions of times before getting pieces to fit together perfectly.

Any ideas? I tried adding asphalt below my roads, but theres stil an issue with the jagged textures (blending) and creating bridges and tunnels.
★★★★ General (seriously i talk to much)
ME ARE DADDY!! :)
Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Re: Alternative way for roads..

Postby DGrimProductions » 09.08.2015, 11:33

I also tried a spline distributor, but it either repeats the texture to much (small road chunk)
Or the roads look like they came out of Hot pursuit 1998
(Stretched road chunks)

I am running out of ideas
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 09.08.2015, 15:20

The road tool really has limited uses in my opinion. If you try and stretch the road make it wider then it will stretch the texture horribly so really its no use for serious roads. But its usefull for small narrow paths but anything with more detail you would need to eaither build with brushes or indeed use designer tool but even then it cannot bend and curved roads easily.
“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.”

– John Wooden

User avatar Shinanigans
Has seen it all
Has seen it all

Postby Shinanigans » 09.08.2015, 15:27

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC1/EaaS+3.8.1
  • New: (CE-3785) Implemented Road physicalization.
  • New: Erase Vegetation button for Editor's Road Tool.
  • Fixed: (CE-4872) Roads disappear when set too wide (NB: Limitation is still there but can increase width about 5x more over previous).

If you try and stretch the road make it wider then it will stretch the texture horribly so really its no use for serious roads

That's what the TileLength parameter is there for.
User avatar mmonteiro
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby mmonteiro » 09.08.2015, 15:37

The streets of my town are so. Hugs.

Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 09.08.2015, 16:07

I have no EaaS anymore and no-one offers me help to get a year subscription wich i can pay for, but theres no way i have acces to a creditcard that fits steams "ideal creditcard" dreams...

Anyway if the streets are to narrow,you can easily make a left and right side and drag a new road object next to it.
Anyway, does this mean we can build bridges and so in EaaS with just the road tool? Or does it still follow terrain only?...
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 09.08.2015, 16:39

Cry-Adam wrote:http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC1/EaaS+3.8.1
  • New: (CE-3785) Implemented Road physicalization.
  • New: Erase Vegetation button for Editor's Road Tool.
  • Fixed: (CE-4872) Roads disappear when set too wide (NB: Limitation is still there but can increase width about 5x more over previous).

If you try and stretch the road make it wider then it will stretch the texture horribly so really its no use for serious roads

That's what the TileLength parameter is there for.

Never used the TileLength parameter's before will do some testing, those shots mmonteiro just posted the road tool looks fine nice n wide textures I think my comment was aimed towards the Free SDK really as I've no done much with the 3.8 * road tool.

DGrimProductions wrote:I have no EaaS anymore and no-one offers me help to get a year subscription wich i can pay for, but theres no way i have acces to a creditcard that fits steams "ideal creditcard" dreams...

Anyway if the streets are to narrow,you can easily make a left and right side and drag a new road object next to it.
Anyway, does this mean we can build bridges and so in EaaS with just the road tool? Or does it still follow terrain only?...

Still not managed to get a debit card from your bank Dgrim? there must be a bank that will give you one. Shame we can't pay with PayPal or some other wired transfer.

As for the road tool i'd try to combine different methods brushes ect, exported CGF's from D'Tool

– John Wooden

Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 09.08.2015, 16:48

I need it to cross as a bridge and it wont.
I dont have EaaS. Pretty much close to switching just because this Steam issue...
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 10.08.2015, 11:02

Hi Dgrim,
It may not necessarily be suitable for you, but I certainly do have an alternative method for roads!

My autogen system can create rail tracks and roads dynamically in game from a data file. It surrounds roads with user-defined objects (if you look carefully you can see examples of your grass, you're credited in the docs). It also places moving traffic. Because the roads and surrounding objects are placed only around the player they can be of virtually unlimited length.

It works by placing road model brushes. The models have different bend angles. The system handles sloping terrains by controlling the pitch angle. The transparency increases towards the edge so the road merges with the terrain quite well.

Because they're brushes they can have different surface types. If the road rises above the terrain the autogen automatically places a bridge model, or a tunnel model if below ground. The simulator editor can be used to create and edit roads and rail tracks. It's working in 3.58.

The road system and car dynamics is still in development, but it's already working pretty well. I'll be adding racing code later on.
Regards,
Chris
Attachments
ScreenShot3521.jpg
ScreenShot3520.jpg
ScreenShot3519.jpg
Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 10.08.2015, 11:51

Sounds viable,but can you also drag out you own roads?
Or are they always created by code randomly? Cause i have a specific world layout,so i have the max coverage in the 4k map without it going outside of the maps to much.

Wich is what i wanna hold on to as theres no double point presision yet. Also,the grass isnt mine :) thats Grims grass.
Did you manage to get a more reliable car movement inside the vehicle editor? I tried,but theres so many options wich i dont understand properly to setup a race/drift car. That racecode would be welcome too :)
User avatar cwright
Producer
Producer

Postby cwright » 11.08.2015, 11:16

Hi DGrim,
Each road is defined by a data file. You could edit it manually, but the best way is to use the simulator editor. You can select a road section and change its bend angle - all later road sections are automatically updated. You can adjust the height of each section to match the terrain, and there's a command to make the road sections confirm to the terrain.

Ah, yes, the grass is made by Grimproductions (the_grim).

For my vehicles I don't use the game vehicle system or editor in any shape or form. It's all done by my Lua code. It's a lot of fun driving the Aston Martin at well over 100 MPH, and it drifts nicely. But the car dynamics still needs a lot of work, at the moment the cars won't roll or crash realistically.

Cars can work in AI mode, e.g. to follow a road. The AI is basic, they will follow roads and overtake other cars and vehicles. But later on I'll be adding more advanced AI functions, and there will definitely be racing code. I was always a bit of a Need for Speed fan!

I've just added a handy graphical display to show real time graphs of physics variables, very useful for diagnostics. In the screen shot the graphs are displaying the forces on the four wheels.

Regards,
Chris
Attachments
ScreenShot3526.jpg
ScreenShot3525.jpg
User avatar calmdev
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby calmdev » 11.08.2015, 18:16

cwright that is really great work there man. Your roads texture seem really stretched have you tried the TileLength parameter or is that even available on free sdk ur project is on free sdk?

Btw DGrimProductions is not the_grim < not active much thease days :))

– John Wooden

Executive Producer
Executive Producer

Postby DGrimProductions » 11.08.2015, 23:55

Would be nice though to have a tool that you can drag out a stretch of road, if encountering a gap it would still close it (for a flat bridge brush to be added) and would be adjustable etc. Kinda like the road tool, just a pitty it doesnt jump gaps