Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

iclone and there new Character creator question

Just getting started? Looking for some information on CE and/or CE projects? Ask here!

User avatar swordfighter
Just getting started
Just getting started

iclone and there new Character creator question

Postby swordfighter » 29.09.2015, 16:21

Hi All

Hope you all are having a great day.
After reading 3DS Max or Blender post
If under stand it right. you can get the iclone characters and there clothes in to cryengine but not the animation?

has any use the new iclone Character creator yet? and do you like it. (for me I'd think it would speed up my work follow tremendously.)

there wep page for the iclone character creator http://www.reallusion.com/iClone/charac ... fault.html

the way i see it ? I would have to import the character and there clothes in Maya then rig the character then import into cryengine?

has any one done this yet? did it work for you?

Thanks
User avatar matrix777
Just getting started
Just getting started

Re: iclone and there new Character creator question

Postby matrix777 » 29.09.2015, 19:25

read again in my topic 3DS MAX or Blender all posts and you will get the answers.its possible to import animation too.specialy read what Collin Bishop and moviemaker100 wrote
User avatar birdeez
Producer
Producer

Postby birdeez » 29.09.2015, 21:35

Shouldn't see there be any issues with getting this to work with some messing around and experimenting as I have had some good success with mixamo models, animations and rigs, although they do provide an auto biped rigging script, building up some tutorial stuff for 3dmax character importing methods. The biggest thing here is that if you use a rig different to the SDK one then you can't use the animations supplied with the SDK. This shouldn't be an issue if you intend to create the hundreds of different animations or even convert some supplied with the rig.

As for making your workflow easier, not sure unless you have lots of characters to make then you need to define your own quick workflow. With animation knowledge you could sort this but without, you need to learn there way and the CRYENGINE way.
User avatar swordfighter
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby swordfighter » 30.09.2015, 15:01

Thanks
User avatar matrix777
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby matrix777 » 02.10.2015, 17:34

i'm try now something like that but i will use mixamo for autorigg,daz to create characters,marvelous to create cloth (or i will download some),animate and lipsync in iclone then export all to 3ds where i will animate cloth and then to cry with alembic
User avatar birdeez
Producer
Producer

Postby birdeez » 02.10.2015, 18:17

@matrix777, Maybe quicker and more productive to learn to model, rig and animate in Maya then do your cloth in Zbrush than learning all those apps and having to adjust everything at the end. Alembic's not really useful unless used for cinematics ;)
User avatar CollinBishop
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby CollinBishop » 02.10.2015, 20:42

birdeez wrote:@matrix777, Maybe quicker and more productive to learn to model, rig and animate in Maya then do your cloth in Zbrush than learning all those apps and having to adjust everything at the end. Alembic's not really useful unless used for cinematics ;)

Or use nCloth in Maya which is what I do. You are also able to keep the low res mesh for the solve and not have to worry as much about the retopo aspect which Marvelous needs. Creating the patterns and knowing how to sew them with inseams and darts takes time. Doing cloth in ZBrish will take forever and never look as good. Sure some are able to replicate the folds and it can be done for leather boots and dense cloth but getting the folds for cotton or silk would be impossible or take a large amount of time.

I would also not say it is not useful unless for cinematics. You can play large simulations in game and even in Ryse they use it numerous times for destruction when an event has been reached. With the proxy collision output it can really hurt you if you find yourself within the destruction zone.
User avatar AHM3D
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby AHM3D » 04.10.2015, 13:26

i use mixamo Fuse Preview to make 3d models but failed to export them in Engine and didnt find any solid way to export
User avatar swordfighter
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby swordfighter » 04.10.2015, 16:06

hi all

can you export the mixamo Fuse models into Maya or Max first then export them to cryengine?
User avatar CollinBishop
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby CollinBishop » 04.10.2015, 21:49

swordfighter wrote:hi all

can you export the mixamo Fuse models into Maya or Max first then export them to cryengine?

You can do this but the skeleton would not have all of the functionality required by the engine to interact with the world properly. Most noticeable being you having the legs walking through the ground. You also would not be able to use any of the default animations due to proportions and the skeleton being completely different. Errors would show up in the console immediately.
User avatar NightDev
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby NightDev » 09.11.2015, 22:15

CollinBishop wrote:use nCloth in Maya

We all know you love Maya, and we said several times, is absurd for a 9euro/month engine to ask us to use a 5k euro software to make it usable. There is Blender, why there is not officially supported??

AND, instead pointing to Maya or Max, why not ask devs to implement animation retargeting? Seriously, takes 1 min to retarget any character in Unity and all animations works.

I mean, come on.. we cant use FUSE, iClone, Daz3D, SpeedTree, Substances, editor addons.. and maybe other stuff that don't come in my mind. But all those starts to be industry standard today.
User avatar Taamalus
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Taamalus » 10.11.2015, 02:10

NightDev wrote:
CollinBishop wrote:use nCloth in Maya

We all know you love Maya, and we said several times, is absurd for a 9euro/month engine to ask us to use a 5k euro software to make it usable. There is Blender, why there is not officially supported??

AND, instead pointing to Maya or Max, why not ask devs to implement animation retargeting? Seriously, takes 1 min to retarget any character in Unity and all animations works.

I mean, come on.. we cant use FUSE, iClone, Daz3D, SpeedTree, Substances, editor addons.. and maybe other stuff that don't come in my mind. But all those starts to be industry standard today.

... and where does the vast Blender Nation support the Cryengine? (one programmer I know of)
... where is the collada export of iClone? (without it, it simply won't work with the Cryengine)
... any software including the Cryengine has room for improvement.

I am one of those that dislikes Maya, it's bulky and complicated to learn, BUT Blender is just as bad. It tries to do everything also. As for the cash, Maya is now on a yearly subscription, fully tax deductible, and here in Toronto, almost anyone from digital arts knows Maya. Even a maya-disliker, as myself, simply accepts the current reality. Maya is number one.

Finally most if not all software mentioned works with Maya; and I am thankful our resident Game Genie uses Maya for critical tutorials, he probably saved me twice the cost of Maya in lost work hours already.
... time waits for no one.
User avatar NightDev
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby NightDev » 10.11.2015, 09:21

@Taamalus I don't want to start Maya vs Blender, I love Blender more that Maya. And the cost is zero. Maya is 5k? or more? The $19 subscription one do not work with plugins, so you have to get the full version.

The problem is, on official Autodesk forum, Autodesk said clearly they don't care about CryEngine, and they will not put CryEngine export plugins in Maya LT, most probable because they don't want to damage Stingray now.

And we all said, if Eaas target indies/hobbists, what's the reason to force using a 5k software? When seriously, like it or not, you can do same thing in Blender, maybe even faster.
User avatar Taamalus
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby Taamalus » 10.11.2015, 19:41

NightDev wrote:@Taamalus I don't want to start Maya vs Blender, I love Blender more that Maya. And the cost is zero. Maya is 5k? or more? The $19 subscription one do not work with plugins, so you have to get the full version.

The problem is, on official Autodesk forum, Autodesk said clearly they don't care about CryEngine, and they will not put CryEngine export plugins in Maya LT, most probable because they don't want to damage Stingray now.

And we all said, if Eaas target indies/hobbists, what's the reason to force using a 5k software? When seriously, like it or not, you can do same thing in Blender, maybe even faster.

Nor do I want a argument, we a re simply chatting. :) Let me give a bit of my background, and you may see how I approach the industry, including the Cryengine.

When I started, (modding and TCs) in 1998 we did what ever was required.
One example, When id Software mentioned which software they used to make their game(s), (Lightwave and then Modo) we bought it. It was our hobby. Money was tight. I took a spare job to feet the kids as well my obsession (hobby). When the movie studio next door built a motion room, I made friends with the boss. He told me to get Cinema 4D, make the model, and come over and 'test' it out, so we did (not cheap at all) and so on.

Now Cryengine works currently well with Maya/3D Studio; and I say, like way back when, do what ever needs to be done.
... time waits for no one.
User avatar CollinBishop
Crytek Staff Member
Crytek Staff Member

Postby CollinBishop » 11.11.2015, 16:50

NightDev wrote:We all know you love Maya, and we said several times, is absurd for a 9euro/month engine to ask us to use a 5k euro software to make it usable. There is Blender, why there is not officially supported??.

Just to be clear you can get a full version of Maya per year in their subscription service for $1600 a year. Which is still a sum of money but is far from $5000. Please don't inflate facts in your statements since others reading this can have a false understanding of the pricing of Autodesk products. I started by modeling things in the UAE (which I moved to so I could pay off $60k in student loans). Then over time I saved money and bought the products. Eventually forming a company and writing off the expense in my taxes. In order to get places you must struggle and work hard.

Time : 0.399s | 42 Queries | GZIP : Off