Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Custom Menus

If you're looking for help with Scaleform, HUD development, UI Emulator/Actions, this is the place!

User avatar RQK
Just getting started
Just getting started

Custom Menus

Postby RQK » 16.06.2016, 10:41

How can i totally delete the main menu and allow my game to load straight up. Or how to make our own main menu... You have to consider anyone using cryengine is a noob and we obviously need help.. Not for people to post a link, say read this, and expect people to succeed. We are asking for help because we have obviously looked everywhere, I know I have, and all we can find are half complete tutorials. This is a huge engine there should have been a video tutorial database long ago. Not trying to complain but if you really take the time to think about it, this is the same exact engine as Lumberyard.. they are already ahead in FBX importing. How can this engine compete if the main LEADERS in the forums say " Go read this man and learn" Thanks alot works great
User avatar Lavizh
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Custom Menus

Postby Lavizh » 16.06.2016, 11:03

/Moved to Scaleform (like the last time).

Image  Image
User avatar RQK
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby RQK » 16.06.2016, 12:14

Lavizh wrote:/Moved to Scaleform (like the last time).

Exactly, like we are suppose to know Main Menu editing goes to scaleform? All I want is to remove the crappy ugly junk they give us for a main menu.. but no you have to use the most expensive software to make models, assets, and tiny simple menus.. I'm out CryEngine V is no different than the old trash it always has been. Considering there are so many banned people from this forum, I will be another for speaking the truth. Wonder why crytek/cryengine sold out to Amazon? Wonder why crytek/cryengine couldn't afford to pay employees? It's the way you run a buisness. It's the people you have running and inspecting these forums. They act like they are smart and know everything about the engine, yet we can't even find an updated flashlight tutorial be forreal.. Lumberyard hasn't been out a month and they already have an in-depth tutorial on that subject.. Choice has been made Lumberyard will be my Engine .
User avatar Creating1
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Creating1 » 16.06.2016, 13:00

dude if you want a positive response from the thread then post something positive.
+ if they know the engine then am sure they have had years using it and understand how to create what they want.They can also share there knowledge with everyone or/and help out.
anything for the UI or the menu is delt with scaleform. search on the scaleform topic and there's loads of stuff that will help you out.
There is also the ui flowgraph that shows you what the menu does from start up.
It's Minutes to Midnight
User avatar angelzlove
Junior Dev
Junior Dev

Postby angelzlove » 16.06.2016, 13:12

RQK wrote:
Lavizh wrote:/Moved to Scaleform (like the last time).

Exactly, like we are suppose to know Main Menu editing goes to scaleform? All I want is to remove the crappy ugly junk they give us for a main menu.. but no you have to use the most expensive software to make models, assets, and tiny simple menus.. I'm out CryEngine V is no different than the old trash it always has been. Considering there are so many banned people from this forum, I will be another for speaking the truth. Wonder why crytek/cryengine sold out to Amazon? Wonder why crytek/cryengine couldn't afford to pay employees? It's the way you run a buisness. It's the people you have running and inspecting these forums. They act like they are smart and know everything about the engine, yet we can't even find an updated flashlight tutorial be forreal.. Lumberyard hasn't been out a month and they already have an in-depth tutorial on that subject.. Choice has been made Lumberyard will be my Engine .

I am 100% sure that Crytek's business is nothing of your concern, so slow down with that topic. And if CryEngine is the choice for your game or not, just depends on your needs, but if you are not willed to research a little bit nobody will be helping you, im sure of that.And i can't agree with your argument that you need only the most expensive software for it, see CryBlender and some free tools for writing ActionScript for Scaleform. But good luck with Lumberyard.
Programmer from live on ! <3
User avatar minze25
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby minze25 » 16.06.2016, 19:57

You can follow this tutorial, it's in Russian, but I don't know Russian and I've followed the tutorial easily
User avatar asfor_farah
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby asfor_farah » 16.06.2016, 20:22

If you still here waiting for someone response you gonna wait a long time , so long !!!

just check this shity menu i have create , i did it without any help from here !

Youtube : https://youtu.be/1T0Wi_-8XQc

i used Adobe Flash to do this simple **** , for some ppl it's expensive yeah
But if you want a free app can do the same thing use " Flash Develop & Vectorian Giotto " they are totally FREE Follow this tut if you don't know how to use it with Cryengine :) :
viewtopic.php?f=291&t=117028

i learned by myself , googled so so much
if you want something here , mostly you won't get good answer xD
Check my YouTube channel ^-^ :cheesy: :easter: :
http://www.youtube.com/c/farahsamir

#Asfor
User avatar asfor_farah
Intern Dev
Intern Dev

Postby asfor_farah » 16.06.2016, 20:26

And you can find some tut from this man , i guess he is Russian ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B384YJworM

Search in his channel , you will find a lot's of tut :)
Check my YouTube channel ^-^ :cheesy: :easter: :
http://www.youtube.com/c/farahsamir

#Asfor
User avatar Parham
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Parham » 18.06.2016, 03:56

Just giving my two cents here, I understand both sides ... I'm a generalist coming to game industry lately with an artist point of view. When it comes to "Learning" stuff, it does matter how we deal with tutorials and community approach :)

I'm also just started learning "Scaleform" and found the documentation totally confusing for artists... The only thing made me survive the docs and tutorials was my beginner level programming skills in c++ that I've been up to in the past six months and my practices with "Macromedia Flash MX" as an animation student many years ago! If you ask me, CryEngine is one of the worst in community and resource documentation (For Artists), and one of the best in result and performance (For Programmers)!

The only matter here is how the engine staff choose their audience and target market. Artists don't like complications. Lets say you want to see your HUD in game and you are an artist, you would probably look for a workflow like this :

- Open the engine
- Push a button that says "Import your assets"
- Find your art, textures, flash buttons, bitmap textures, etc. on HDD
- Import, DONE!
- Now go look for an asset manager or something in the engine so you can do stuff ...

But when you fail to find such routine workflow, you'll come to search for "Hows" in the forum and you see something totally complicated for an artist to understand:

- Make your design in Flash
- Do "Action Scripting" ... OK what is AS2.0 ...? Jesus! Alright! Am I suppose to ...? Wait! Where was the docs again?
- Export a SWF while you almost totally have no idea if this is gonna work or not
- Next step: Convert SWF to something, then write a "XML" for it that ... wait a second, what is "XML"? How am I suppose to .... Jesus Again! Okay lets copy and paste this code here and tweak these lines and that words and you TOTALLY have no idea what's going on, but lets say you're yet struggling to the next level:
- So! Finally! Engine again! Now I should go for a "Flowgraph" right? And I have to find my button like ... here ... and ... AND? Okay back to that monsterous documentation again ...

This is something that programmers are used to, but for artists, it's like killing them with a terrifying weapon of CODE! trust me! :D

I started learning Unreal and CryEngine almost at the same time, Unreal went very smooth like if I'm using another 3D software package as an artist, I even made a crazy prototype in a week!, CryEngine however is totally another story. I'm still struggling with the pipeline. In the other hand, when it comes to code your customize tools and assets or game logic, you'll find Unreal totally messy! Specially if you hate "macro"s! CryEngine comes very clean and logistic and completely worthy.

A game engine is something that attracts CG Artists' attention lately (like myself), and there are so many newcomers from an artist POV trying to use game engines in an indie manner(small teams of even 1 man alone!). If it does matter for CryTek people to grab this audience, I think it's critical for them to put more effort on the pipeline itself.

Already talked so much, but I guess it could help to see why might people like RQK get frustrated after a couple of tries.
By the way, I think the community itself is very welcoming, except for the beginners who don't know how to get used to the hard parts, like reading dozens of online documentations! lol
I've had great times asking questions and getting detailed answers and references in "CryCommunity" on "Slack". But that's not a preferable approach for newbie indies.
User avatar Creating1
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Creating1 » 18.06.2016, 12:59

dam that is long to read^
It's Minutes to Midnight
User avatar Parham
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Parham » 18.06.2016, 17:10

Creating1 wrote:dam that is long to read^

Exactly! That's why reading the documentation for artists are a PITA! hahaha ;)
Hope CryEngine tutorials on Youtube gets richer and deeper soon.
User avatar Creating1
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Creating1 » 18.06.2016, 22:23

have you seen collin 's tuts?
It's Minutes to Midnight
User avatar Parham
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Parham » 19.06.2016, 04:15

Creating1 wrote:have you seen collin 's tuts?

If Collin's tutorials are all that's been in the official CryEngine Youtube channel, yes. And am following every time it gets updated. But the engine is huge, it'll get time for Collin to record everything.
Btw, Don't take me wrong, I already got used to the pipeline, but yet it's hard for many to see the whole image.
User avatar Creating1
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Creating1 » 19.06.2016, 18:57

If you have seen Collins free3d ones it explains a good amount though any modeling is done in maya.

I think you just have to get use to it and how it all works. Being here a long time so you know what stuff will work and what research you need to do to get it to work.
But yep Cry engine isn't noob friendly. but i have been hooked since crysis 1. I just get on with it, to me it is less hassle creating maps in Cry engine then in unreal .
It's Minutes to Midnight
User avatar Parham
Just getting started
Just getting started

Postby Parham » 19.06.2016, 23:52

Creating1 wrote:If you have seen Collins free3d ones it explains a good amount though any modeling is done in maya.

I think you just have to get use to it and how it all works. Being here a long time so you know what stuff will work and what research you need to do to get it to work.
But yep Cry engine isn't noob friendly. but i have been hooked since crysis 1. I just get on with it, to me it is less hassle creating maps in Cry engine then in unreal .

Just seen Collin's Free3D channel on youtube! and came to say somebody should put a link to his channel somewhere in the documentation! Thanks by the way, I was already dropped searching for cryengine tutorials as they were mostly rough...

And for other people reading this, by Collin's Free3D we mean here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Free3Dee/playlists