Forums Gallery LOGIN |REGISTER

Community Archive is read-only - Here you can view content recorded up until February 2017. To join the latest discussions visit our new forums

Crytek Announces “VR First” Academic Initiative

News regarding Crytek

User avatar Cry-Angela
Community Manager
Community Manager

Crytek Announces “VR First” Academic Initiative

Postby Cry-Angela » 19.01.2016, 15:53

The creators of CRYENGINE will provide full source code access for free and equip a new generation of talent to explore the power and potential of VR
    Frankfurt am Main (Germany) January 19, 2016 – Seeking to nurture grassroots virtual reality development worldwide, Crytek today announced the launch of its new VR First program.
      Under the initiative, Crytek will partner with academic institutions to provide state-of-the-art technology and facilities for students and researchers looking to explore the power and potential of VR.
        Beneficiaries of the VR First program will not only enjoy full source code access to Crytek’s CRYENGINE development suite, but also free use of hardware from VR First affiliates.
          VR First seeks to empower the development talent of tomorrow by ensuring academic institutions around the world are equipped to support their ambitions in this exciting new field. The initial VR First Lab opens its doors today at Istanbul’s Bahçeşehir University and will act as a pilot destination for the scheme. Crytek and the program’s affiliate hope to ensure every VR First lab facilitates users to play a key part in shaping the future of VR.

For more information on VR First, and details of how to become an affiliate or academic partner, please visit http://vrfirst.cryengine.com.
            User avatar deependra123
            Regular Dev
            Regular Dev

Re: Crytek Announces “VR First” Academic Initiative

Postby deependra123 » 19.01.2016, 17:14

vr first , i saw video , cool and nice presentation of vr but i want to more information about this"vr first".
            how to join this?
            :easter: Current Status:-
            Working on secondary engine.
            User avatar Lavizh
            Lead Moderator
            Lead Moderator

Postby Lavizh » 19.01.2016, 17:45

You can join in the University of Instanbul. That's where it is according to the site.

Image  Image
            User avatar deependra123
            Regular Dev
            Regular Dev

Postby deependra123 » 19.01.2016, 18:57

i can join this via online only. i read post that crytek will partner and lead companies will provide equipment of vr with full source code. here little bit doubt in my mind.
            whose?
            student or university.
            i sure these type of university will very less in number in whole world, i mean only this type of university will available in few countries(5-10).then how to work and fulfill own target ?
            :easter: Current Status:-
            Working on secondary engine.
            User avatar johan26
            Intern Dev
            Intern Dev

Postby johan26 » 19.01.2016, 19:06

Now that there is the " Academic Initiative " sentence it is easier to understand the purpose of this project
            User avatar DavAguirre
            Intern Dev
            Intern Dev

Postby DavAguirre » 20.01.2016, 01:10

That's great! But will individual devs or those with EaaS be able to access this? Or is this exclusively for certain universities?
            User avatar Cry-Angela
            Community Manager
            Community Manager

Postby Cry-Angela » 20.01.2016, 11:26

The program is not for individual users but for academic institutions and the pilot program started in Bahçeşehir University in Istanbul; the VR Labs are provided by the schools/universities and the equipment is provided by our hardware partners. That said, if you're a student, work in an academic institution or just a VR enthusiast and would like to join the VR First program, you can definitely get in touch with the VR First guys by filling the form on their website. The idea is to join forces with as many institutions as we can to make VR more accessible :)

http://vrfirst.cryengine.com/
            User avatar Hapexi
            Just getting started
            Just getting started

Postby Hapexi » 20.01.2016, 18:07

This is such great news, very wise move from Crytek and I really hope it takes off. I believe this is the right step for getting Cryengine into many more developer's hands, familiarize them with the engine and really show whats possible with Cryengine. The whole strategy does still, in my opinion, lack the more direct developer approach which I really hope to see coming this year, something to really help new developers see Cryengine as more easily approachable option for developing games, be it the much talked about FBX support ( in the works I believe ), better documentation ( tutorials in the works! Go Collin! ) or maybe some other feature?? Anyway I have high hopes for 2016 and can't wait to see whats coming!
            User avatar DavAguirre
            Intern Dev
            Intern Dev

Postby DavAguirre » 20.01.2016, 20:50

Cry-Angela wrote:The program is not for individual users but for academic institutions and the pilot program started in Bahçeşehir University in Istanbul; the VR Labs are provided by the schools/universities and the equipment is provided by our hardware partners. That said, if you're a student, work in an academic institution or just a VR enthusiast and would like to join the VR First program, you can definitely get in touch with the VR First guys by filling the form on their website. The idea is to join forces with as many institutions as we can to make VR more accessible :)

http://vrfirst.cryengine.com/

Thanks for the reply CryAngela, that's good news! What about more open source code access? I had hopes that EaaS subscribers could get it or at least a little bit more access in 2016, than what is currently available. But regardless it's a very nice move form Crytek!