CRYENGINE 5.5 Preview 6 is available now through CRYENGINE launcher and GitHub! As you know, work never stops on the development of the engine, and today’s update pushes things forward with a dozen improvements and some important middleware updates. We couldn’t have put this update together without the help of our community, so as ever, we’d like to thank everyone for all your feedback and suggestions. Keep it coming!
Accessing the 5.5.0 Preview 6 Release
CRYENGINE Preview versions are available through the CRYENGINE Launcher.
- Log into the CRYENGINE Launcher.
- Go to LIBRARY -> My Engines where your currently installed and available Engines are listed. From there Engines can be updated (installed).
CRYENGINE Previews can also be obtained from GitHub as can full Sandbox Editor source code.
Preview Engine versions are also available from Github, however Sandbox Editor source code is only available via Github.
- Go to: https://github.com/CRYTEK/CRYENGINE/releases/5.5.0...
- Download CRYENGINE_preview_184.108.40.2067_pc.zip
- Unzip it somewhere and open the directory “CRYENGINE_preview_220.127.116.117_pc”
- Double click on InstallEngine.bat
For more information on getting started with the CRYENGINE source code from GitHub please visit our technical documentation on Building the Engine from Source Code.
Code Interface Changes
For more information, see the Important CRYENGINE 5.5 Data and Code Changes article.
If you are upgrading from CRYENGINE 5.4, please read this topic: Migrating from CRYENGINE 5.4 to CRYENGINE 5.5.
All Known Issues are Work in Progress. If you encounter those or similar problems please let us know, but be aware that we are already looking into it.
- CRASH: VS 2017 v15.8 causes compile issues resulting in CRYENGINE crashing. Users should therefore ensure that they have an earlier version of Visual Studio installed on their PC.
- TWEAKED: Reflections are broken if a material is attached to an object. Can be tweaked with "r_ssreflsamples" and "r_ssrefldistance".
- CRASH: Vulkan crashes after level load.
- CRASH: Sandbox Editor crashes if a particle effect is placed in the level and is opened in the Particle Editor.
- DESIGNER TOOL: Designer objects may be invisible after levelload/chainload. Workaround: Enable, then disable e_permanentRenderObjects 0/1.
- C#: Using the CRYENGINE C# extension for Visual Studio 2017 to start the GameLauncher, Sandbox Editor or Server can cause an error when used in Visual Studio 2017 v15.7. More information and a fix for this issue can be found here.
- ENTITY: Light Projector does not cast any shadows.
- ENTITY: Using an entity/component as movement, rotation pivot/joint in Trackview does not play the animation in-game and or in pure game.
- Updated to Wwise SDK 2018.1.0 (NOTE: If using CRYENGINE 5.5.0 Preview 6 (and future versions of CRYENGINE), then users MUST update their Wwise version to at least version 2018.1.0 or later. NOTE: Earlier versions of CRYENGINE i.e. up to and including CRYENGINE 5.5.0 Preview 5 MUST use a Wwise version that is prior to Wwise 2018.1.0.
- Updated to Fmod Studio 1.10.07.
- Fixed: Container Entities do not output correct data.
Graphics and Rendering
- Fixed: GetDebugName platform ifdef - fixed compilation for Durango.
- Fixed: Scaleform memory leak.
- Fixed: Pipeline State Object (PSO) pool growing unbounded.
- Tweaked: Allow recursive release of rendernodes.
- Fixed: (Entity System) Crash after jumping into any level and trying to exit.
- Fixed: (Entity System) Unremovable entities were not hidden when they were removed.
- Fixed: (Renderer) Missing information in water volume reflections.
- Fixed: (Sandbox Editor) Opening a level through the Asset Browser will set the wrong level path. When saving a level, legacy code in mission, terrain, vegetation etc. will fail to resolve the path.
- Fixed: (CryDefaultEntities) Assertion and crash in the MannequinObject after deletion. The MannequinObject was changed to an IEntityComponent but still behaved like a GameObject on shutdown.
- Tweaked: (Animation) Vcloth parameter names have been changed in order to clarify that constraints are enforced and propagated locally between nearest neighbors only. NOTE: Users will need to override defaults and set the values for the new Nearest Neighbor Distance Constraints (NNDC) parameters.
- Tweaked: (Character Tool) Checkbox for NNDC now switches to disabled after re-loading.
- Tweaked: (Water Volumes) Added more parameters.
- Tweaked: (Water Volumes) Improved fade-out parameters to suppress glaring step-artifacts between missing and non-missing Screen Space Reflection(s) (SSR) information.
- Tweaked: (Sandbox) Don't handle mouse events in Level Editor Viewport if no level is loaded.
- Tweaked: (Renderer) Move GPU particles update into Update() rather than Execute().
Reminder: This is an experimental release and features are subject to changes, bugs, and gremlins, as you’d expect with a beta production. Please back up your projects before working with any of our latest builds to make sure your core project is safe. If you find an issue please reach out to us via the collective CRYENGINE 5.5 Build Feedback Thread on the official forum or report issues via GitHub Issue Reporter.
How to report Crashes: In case of engine crashes, please use the Crash Reporter in the launcher when it pops up and don't forget to attach all reports! We hope you enjoy the build and we look forward to seeing what you can do with it. For guides on how to best submit an issue or if you need to contact customer support, please review the 'How to contact CRYENGINE Official Support Channels' landing thread on the forum.
- Your CRYENGINE Team